Honored Contributor

KATE WINSLET'S COTTAGE IN "THE HOLIDAY"

[ Edited ]

I didn't even see the movie, but I periodically go back to look at Kate Winslet's quintessential English cottage in it-- it is so cute!

https://hookedonhouses.net/2018/10/08/rosehill-cottage-holiday-movie/

The exterior was just a shell (but what a shell) they erected temporarily, and the interior was all mocked up in a studio, sob.  But it looks so REAL!

Note the extremely subtle Christmas decorations.  In the one shot of Cameron Diaz in front of a mantel, there's a string of lights.  There's another string (of nuts?) decking another mantel in the house, I think, and a wreath on the front door in some shots.  I guess Winslet's character doesn't have the advantage of a British Valerie Parr Hill to order from, ha.  But some colors and the 'coziness' in the cottage suggest Christmas to me.

I just love it so much.  The tiny library, the stone walls visible in the interior, the blue cabinets in the kitchen.  And that extremely cute mini- bathtub...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: KATE WINSLET'S COTTAGE IN "THE HOLIDAY"

Just love it!  With the exception of getting a bigger bathtub, I could move right in.

Respected Contributor

Well it is really cute but I'm getting old and I need all the "mod cons". Gotta have central heating, dishwasher, etc. And no stairs! I guess I'm not much of a romantic.

Honored Contributor

I'm so in love with almost all of Nancy Meyer's home ideas (as seen in this movie, It's Complicated, and Something's Gotta Give - but not so much The Intern), that I own all those NM movies on DVD, @Oznell.

And thank goodness for the hookedonhouses.net site.  That woman had a wonderful idea.  So glad she carried it out.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for posting this.  I didn't see the movie, but I have to tell you that big house would do it for me!  I love all the light coming in and the space.  Clutter makes me crazy.  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

I agree that all the houses mentioned are fabulous, but you all really need to see the movies they are attached to because they are all great movies. It's Complicated and the Holiday are two of my favorites.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm so in love with almost all of Nancy Meyer's home ideas (as seen in this movie, It's Complicated, and Something's Gotta Give - but not so much The Intern), that I own all those NM movies on DVD, @Oznell.

And thank goodness for the hookedonhouses.net site.  That woman had a wonderful idea.  So glad she carried it out.

p.s.  I have to add that the little library is just so snug and delicious and amazingly perfect.  

Rosehill Cottage library The Holiday

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach. I, too, am in love with Nancy Meyer films and the own all the dvd’s!   Nancy has a great talent.  

Honored Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

@GingerPeach. I, too, am in love with Nancy Meyer films and the own all the dvd’s!   Nancy has a great talent.  

@Dawnie

I think we should hire her to consult on our own home decor.  Maybe she'd give us a group rate!  Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

The 1st time I saw the movie, I fell in love with it, & have watched the movie several times over the years just to see it again! It's warm & cozy, & I'd take that cottage over the big California house any day!