Respected Contributor

Re: Is anyone buying from Harry?

DH and I used to have a small business hand pouring candles with various scents.

From experience, the biggest expense of his candles are the containers that they come in; if one uses "non fancy" jars and puts on their own label, they are not that expensive to make.

Unless I really liked one of his containers, I would not purchase.  JMO.

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I buy a lot of candles and have bought Slatkin in the past. But I mostly buy based on scent and you can't smell these before you buy. These candles are expensive if you add in shipping not to mention the fact that candles are fragile and could be broken in shipment. I have access to many candles on sale so I will not be buying the Slatkin candles.

@chessylady

Yep, since you cant smell them you take a chance.....However, if the candles arrive broken, all you have to do is call Customer Service, only one of my candles was broken, I didnt have to return anything, and they sent me an entire new set--even though I explained only one was broken.  The special edition 3 wick sets/ 4 wick sets come with a heavier glass container and they are packed better---so I think they solved the breaking issue 

But you also have to consider these are BIGGER than BBW too, and if they aren't on sale at BBW or if there is no coupon, Harry's are the better deal......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”

I'm probably not going to. The burning time on these are 55 hours tops, and with 4 wicks, the fragrance may be good, but they are going to burn fast. Another national brand has two wicks, taller, less expensive, so I will probably go with those. These are too expensive to be gone in that amount of time. The candles I purchase are over 100 hours and smell terrific as well, and I can check out the scent at the store. 

I am tempted to purchase one set of his fall ones that were offered today (8/7) bu it still comes to 48.00 or so for two. That is hefty. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I liked Harry's fall scents in the 3 wick and also the winter sets in the 3 wick from last year, and I know a lot of people dont like floral but I do and I bought the set lotus flower and lavendar set TWICE. The scent had a good throw....I guess I was lucky and picked scents that were pleasing to me......

I had made an advanced order that will ship the end of September back when they were the TSV I got the Harvest collection with Harvest Leaves and Pumpkin Caramel and Autumn Pinecone....

I got real tired of Bath & Body Works with their drowning wicks, and some of their candles had no scent after the first lighting, and I let them burn the proper amount of time too......Yankee Candles dont seem to have any scent....I even tried Walmart's Better Homes &Garden and those had a lot of soot and didnt smell........

One brand I did like was the Cheerful Giver sold on Q's website and the Papa Jars were a good price.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I must admit that I don't buy the Harry Slatkin candles on the Q...I am a Bath & Body Works fan and every year I purchase candles (3 wick) during their yearly sale..I love the scents and how long they last. I have soo many candles that I give some away as gifts...I did discover today that Harry sold part of his company to Bath & Body Works....These are my latest acquisitions Smiley Very Happy

Bath and Body.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

I must admit that I don't buy the Harry Slatkin candles on the Q...I am a Bath & Body Works fan and every year I purchase candles (3 wick) during their yearly sale..I love the scents and how long they last. I have soo many candles that I give some away as gifts...I did discover today that Harry sold part of his company to Bath & Body Works....These are my latest acquisitions Smiley Very Happy

Bath and Body.JPG

@GAQShopr53

Georgia Peach and Peach Bellini are 2 favorite scents from BBW!!! But as I said, I got tired of drowning wicks and some of their candles burned too fast too......

Respected Contributor

@Spurt I did purchase some scents last year and they did not last...I ordered those online and decided to go to the actual store this year....

Trusted Contributor

I ordered the ceramic burlap pumpkin in bronze. H216059.

I don't normally burn candles, but I like his figurals.

If I'm going to burn a candle, I hope this is a good one.

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@Spurt I did purchase some scents last year and they did not last...I ordered those online and decided to go to the actual store this year....

@GAQShopr53

I always went to the actual store to purchase BBW candles and the soaps.  I always wanted to make sure the candles I selected had a good scent.  They have a good policy where you can bring the candles if you aren't satisified, but I dont want the hassle of driving all the way back to the store either....

Respected Contributor

I really liked the Smoked Pumpkin Woods that he brought last year.  If he offered that again, I would buy it again, but I'm not too excited about this year's scent choices.