Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday Teacher's Gifts - Need ideas

I can see sending teacher gifts when the children are in elementary school, but not when they're in high school.  Middle school would depend I think on the situation.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to be a party pooper and ignore all the fun creative ideas, but honestly, I noticed (and have posted here before) that when my son was in school, teachers so didn't need any more of the usual fare in gifts. Baked goods weren't well received by many on special diets, and after years of teaching, trinkets were simply next year's garage sale fodder.

For the younger grades, our Scholastic book fair was near Christmas, and teachers posted a wish list for books from the fair, for their classrooms. They loved getting those. And small gift cards for either Walmart or any big craft store so they can get supplies for their rooms were the biggest hits. Or even a Barns and Nobel gift card to order books for their personal use.

Starbucks and other food cards, you have to know if they actually eat there. Food is hit and miss based on diets and personal preferences. Any 'thing' is kind of a gamble unless you know them pretty well, their style, interests, colors etc. 

And after my son left middle school (which was small and he only had three teachers total each year there), we stopped gifting at all. It simply wasn't expected or done much at the high school level.

New Contributor

Beig Re: Holiday Teacher's Gifts - Need ideas

Being a high school teacher, I don't expect anything.  I'm beyond excited / grateful if I'm gifted anything.  I will be honest and say I don't love food items or trinkets that say, "#1 teacher." I'm a picky eater; I hate nuts in food...I'm very vanilla, but Chocolates or fudge is ok. My favorites are $5.00 gift cards to anywhere- dollar tree, bath and body works, office max, arbys, movie theater.  But honestly, I do not expect anything.  I'm more worried my students get a Christmas!

Honored Contributor

Re: Beig Re: Holiday Teacher's Gifts - Need ideas

@Scarlet and Gray wrote:

Being a high school teacher, I don't expect anything.  I'm beyond excited / grateful if I'm gifted anything.  I will be honest and say I don't love food items or trinkets that say, "#1 teacher." I'm a picky eater; I hate nuts in food...I'm very vanilla, but Chocolates or fudge is ok. My favorites are $5.00 gift cards to anywhere- dollar tree, bath and body works, office max, arbys, movie theater.  But honestly, I do not expect anything.  I'm more worried my students get a Christmas!

This is so very true in so many districts these days!

Welcome to the boards @Scarlet and Gray! Any chances you are from Ohio? LOL

Regular Contributor

I definitely appreciate the suggestions.

I however am NOT a fan of gift cards. I don't ever give them because I think they are just way too impersonal. You can disagree but that's how I feel.

I also know my sons teachers well enough to ask about food allergies. So that is why I always feel safest going this route. When one does have an issue, I adjust.  Two years ago one of my son's teachers was diabetic and I bought a recipe book for diabetics so I could make him something special. That small gesture meant alot to him.

I also wouldn't get them just a "trinket". Also way too informal and usually just trash. I always like to give quality items.

I personally don't think that any teacher should be left out, regardless of what year they teach. I am a HUGE advocate for education and its definitely one area in which I will always show my appreciation.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Respected Contributor

This may be a little off topic but I didn't realize that people gave teachers Christmas gifts in high school.  My kids would give their elementary teachers gifts because they were with them all day.  But, once they got to high school I stopped gifting because they had so many different teachers.

I think it's nice of you to do.

Valued Contributor

Poinsettia or lottery ticket

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Especially in today's world with issues with food allergies, all the junk we all have, special diets and likes and dislikes, I still think a gift card, even a $5 one, or a nice thank-you card are the only sensible choices.

People give coffee mugs and coffee--and a LOT of us don't drink coffee, or eat gluten, or nuts, or someone they love can't be near nuts, or whatever.   Just give a simple gift card so they can be thrilled to get some little something they want and will love.

Gift giving is for the recipient--not to make the gift giver look creative or be satisfied.  I will admit to you that back when I was young and new to adult gift giving, a very LONG time ago, I would worry and worry about getting people something special (to show how creative and thoughtful I could be), or something "they wouldn't buy themselves" or "hadn't thought of" etc.  So after a few big bombs, I FINALLY figured out I was getting someone a gift that reflected how creative I was.  I am ashamed to admit that, but thereafter I have given gift cards or simple, non-creative gifts that people want.  I got that from my mother, who was fixated on surprising and amazing people with gifts.  Some were PRETTY bizarre.  LOL!!!  I will say people were sometimes VERY surprised!  

If they have a collection of 1,000 ceramic owls, and love owls, I'll get them the 1,001st owl!  I guess I can look back and laugh, but it is hard for me to admit that. . . 

I think gift giving has changed very much over the years.  Gift cards were frowned on a long time ago, but I think those days are over, especially for people who are not immediate family or very very close friends you know well.  I have taken the pressure off myself about that!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Especially in today's world with issues with food allergies, all the junk we all have, special diets and likes and dislikes, I still think a gift card, even a $5 one, or a nice thank-you card are the only sensible choices.

People give coffee mugs and coffee--and a LOT of us don't drink coffee, or eat gluten, or nuts, or someone they love can't be near nuts, or whatever.   Just give a simple gift card so they can be thrilled to get some little something they want and will love.

Gift giving is for the recipient--not to make the gift giver look creative or be satisfied.  I will admit to you that back when I was young and new to adult gift giving, a very LONG time ago, I would worry and worry about getting people something special (to show how creative and thoughtful I could be), or something "they wouldn't buy themselves" or "hadn't thought of" etc.  So after a few big bombs, I FINALLY figured out I was getting someone a gift that reflected how creative I was.  I am ashamed to admit that, but thereafter I have given gift cards or simple, non-creative gifts that people want.  I got that from my mother, who was fixated on surprising and amazing people with gifts.  Some were PRETTY bizarre.  LOL!!!  I will say people were sometimes VERY surprised!  

If they have a collection of 1,000 ceramic owls, and love owls, I'll get them the 1,001st owl!  I guess I can look back and laugh, but it is hard for me to admit that. . . 

I think gift giving has changed very much over the years.  Gift cards were frowned on a long time ago, but I think those days are over, especially for people who are not immediate family or very very close friends you know well.  I have taken the pressure off myself about that!

@Sooner

I was exactly like you in years gone by. I loved the planning, the hunt, and the creative outlet. And for some people on my gift list, that I know really well, that is still the way I go (and very successfully).

But for those on the fringe of my life (like teachers) I learned to cut out all the 'stuff' and give them what I saw them really appreciate, and that was requested books for their classroom or gift cards to buy things for the classroom.

Once I headed the $5 per student collection at Christmas and bought the teacher a $100 Q gift card, but only because I knew she loved to shop here. 

In general, I'm a bit cautious with gift cards with people I don't know really well. I've received some over the years that were of absolutely no use to me, like Starbucks, never go there, don't drink coffee or tea, just not interested, and some from restaurants that we never frequent. 

So even with gift cards, people have to be aware that just assuming 'everyone' loves them, and is happy to get one from anywhere, just isn't true, and you need to know enough about the person you're buying for before you gift just any old card.

Honored Contributor

When I was in high school we had 7 periods in a day with 7 different teachers. Do you buy gifts for 14 different teachers? Wow. of course our school was so overcrowded our teachers didn't even know our faces. Soeven if we gave them a gift they wopuldn't even have realized who it was from.