IMG_20210106_081204_760.jpg

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happy Three Kings Day!🤴🏻🤴🏾🤴

Happy Day!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up celebrating Three King's Day and eating the holiday bread - a rosca!!  Bread had one little plastic baby doll baked inside.  The person that got that baby in their piece of bread was supposed to give a party in six months!!  I don't remember anyone ever holding that party!!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today is also Christmas for orthodox christians.

So, Merry Christmas and Happy Three Kings Day.

Respected Contributor

"On the twelfth day of Christmas. . ."

Super Contributor

My Mexican family used to setup a HUGE nativity scene in early December.  It took us days to set it up with moss-covered hills, rivers, and stables.  Every night before bed we would move Mary and Joseph closer to the stable ... and of course, move all the animals around.  

Christmas night we would put in the baby Jesus. 

The next  twelve days we would move the wise men from the far reaches of our nativity, closer to the stable. 

We all participated  ... I miss that tradition.  

Super Contributor

@juanitalinda   Our families shared the same tradition! I love the memories of setting up our Nativity. On the first Sunday in Advent we set up the stable... animals began appearing as the days went on... shepherds and sheep... and we would read Bible passages... sing Christmas songs... my brother, sisters and I couldn't wait for the night the Little Drummer Boy would show up because we loved the 'paa rum pa pum pum' part of that song! Ha!  You could feel the Christmas spirit in the air as my Mom would gently place Joseph and Mary and the donkey in the stable. On Christmas Eve we would attend Midnight Mass and visit the large Nativity at our Church and we were able to take some of the straw for our own Nativty at home. We would place it in our stable and laid Jesus in the Manager! My oldest sister always placed Jesus in the Manger because she and my Grandma shared their birthdays with baby Jesus!  And then the 3 Kings began to travel from the East (or at least the East corner of our living room...haha.)

In 2018, I traveled to the Holy Land with my two sisters, and we re-told the stories of those traditions. Never would I have imagined when I was a child that I would one day visit that special place. The trip was even more special because it was the last trip we would take with my older sister, who died in 2019.

Super Contributor

@Zsazsa   I love the idea of taking straw from the Church''s nativity for the baby Jesus' manger at home.  That is so special.  

I am so glad you got to experience the Holy Land with your sister.  

Esteemed Contributor

@juanitalinda wrote:

My Mexican family used to setup a HUGE nativity scene in early December.  It took us days to set it up with moss-covered hills, rivers, and stables.  Every night before bed we would move Mary and Joseph closer to the stable ... and of course, move all the animals around.  

Christmas night we would put in the baby Jesus. 

The next  twelve days we would move the wise men from the far reaches of our nativity, closer to the stable. 

We all participated  ... I miss that tradition.  

-------------

When we were kids, my little hermano would set up the Nacimiento every year!! His was very elaborate with mirrors for lakes etc...  Now a grand-dad, he still sets up his holiday nativity!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@corita   I remember the mirrors for lakes ... and aluminum foil for rivers.  

I am so happy your brother is keeping the tradition alive.   My family thought it was 'hokey' and 'old fashioned'.