Trusted Contributor

Would people share their gift ideas?  As someone mentioned in the thread about gift giving to service people, so many people are donating unwanted stuff.  So what are good ideas for thoughtful gift-giving that people will actually use? 

Most people that I know are not extravagant and appreciate useful items.  Every year, my husband gives me gift certificates to get my nails done and my car washed.  Those are my favorite gifts!

For example, my mother-in-law loves coffee.  I found a pretty reusable bag at Tractor Supply and I am going to fill it with a couple of cans of coffee and creamers.  I mentioned it to my husband and he likes the idea.  I'm not giving her any mugs because she has a cabinet full of mugs!  We also will give her a certificate for a couple of car washes. 

I also ordered 2 sets of the California Innovations totes that were a TSV last week; I received them yesterday.  I'm giving them to several friends and relatives.  They are actually very nice (they are also already in a box!) and I thought that they could leave them in their trunks and have available for trips to the grocery and Costco.

Today's TSV is actually cute and I am debating whether to order it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gift Ideas for Christmas

You already have some great ideas. I'm a cash/ gift card kind of person. Only buy presents if someone specifically provides me with a list. Who wants to stand in line exchanging gifts?

Super Contributor

@Tennesseegal 

I already like some of your ideas.. I also love to give gift cards. My husband and I have everything that we would ever need. We buy the things that we need or love during the year. For Christmas, we just give a little something. I find that useful gifts are the most appreciated. I give my son and DIL,a  gift card for a night out, (restaurant and a movie gift card) they have 2 small children and that is something that they appreciate.  I would love to hear of others ideas too.

Respected Contributor

For my sister:  Gift certificate to Shop Rite or Costco.  If I see a shirt or sweater I know she'll like, I'll pick that up.  In the past I have gotten her many handbags.  I thinks she's over that.  Right now she seems to be into Beekman soaps and stuff so I'll be looking into that.  I also send some type of food.  Usually Wolferman's.

Mom:  Gift certificate for Shop Rite and Costco also.  Helps with cost of buying food and prescriptions.  Also gift certificcates for getting her hair done and nails done.  Usually a food item, like Wolferman's. 

MIL:  Last year we got her a Roomba.  She loves it.  She lives in a retirement community and loves to go out to eat with friends so we usually get her a gift certificate to one of her favorites restaurants. 

We used to buy for many others, especially my husbands co-workers.  But, he left that job and we no longer exchange with them.  I'm thankful for that.  It was getting to be way too much.  I once suggested instead of buying each other things we really don't want or need just for the sake of buying, that we get a name of a family and buy for them for the holidays.  That did not go over well.  I was surprised they didn't like the idea.  My husband and I really don't exchange any longer.  We'll get something little for each other just to put under the tree to have something to open. 

Respected Contributor

K49303
Kuhn Rikon Set of (4) Shears with Gift Boxes

K48049
Kuhn Rikon Set of 2 2-Cup Pull Chops with Gift Boxes

I have given the Kuhn Rikon Shears and the Pull Chops as gifts previous Holiday seasons.  I have also kept one of each for myself.   And they work like a charm. And they are great kitchen gifts.  For anybody who cooks, those are perfect gifts.

Honored Contributor

CASH !!!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It's still early for me,  we don't have any out of country relatives so there's I don't have mail things out early.  I'm just beginning to think about Christmas presents now.  I'm going to take  pass on today's TSV.  I buy it every year, I put leftovers in the container and fill the bag with candy, cookies etc when I sent my Christmas dinner guests home.  I'm ready for change.  I don't know what I am buying anyone else yet.  No idea at all.  I'll figure it out, make my list and start shopping in a couple of weeks.  I love the whole Christmas experience so I savor it all, I don't rush through it.  

Honored Contributor

Oh yes, I love the whole Christmas experience so I savor it all.

That is why I have been enjoying shopping and wrapping gifts as I purchase them. I even ordered a few from the Q. I am extremely picky about what I give my family and friends. I listen closely throughout the year to get ideas for each of them. I always include money or a gift card with the gifts for my family. I also choose a theme for gift wrapping each year. 

Honored Contributor

I buy gifts for my grands.  They send me a list and I get them everything they listed.  Thank goodness, they haven't asked for a big ticket item such as a car.

I give my adult children cash.

I buy something for two ladies that I take care of, such as slippers, postage stamps, hand cream, and an order from Wolfermans.  I also give them a gift certificate to the grocery store or pharmacy that they can use.  I often end up paying for their groceries, RX drugs and OTC drugs anyway, along with clothing items, but this way they can feel better about using their own " money" to get what they need.

My husband and I do not exchange.  I also buy a lot of gloves and hats to donate to the school where I volunteer.  So many kids do not have proper winter clothing.

I personally do not like to receive gift certificates, especially to restaurants, but as an exception....I love gift certicficates to grocery stores. Those I use.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I gave Popcorn Poppers last year to the college-aged kids in my family.  I added a bag of popcorn.  I see that the item has gotten low reviews, but all of the kids told me they liked it.  I've also given them CrockPot Lunch Crocks.  It's the perfect size for a can of soup and is allowed in the dorm.  In fact, it's good for the office, too.  You can put a can of soup in it when you arrive in the morning and it's hot and ready to eat by lunch.

This year, I ordered earrings for some of the girls that are their name in script.  I think I found those on Zulily.  All three of them have unusual names so you wouldn't find name items without special orders.  They are sterling silver, but not expensive.

For my aunts, I send a fresh wreath for their door, set to arrive around Thanksgiving.

For some families without children, I'll send cute pet toys or the pet treat advent calendars.  Tervis tumblers are a big hit, too.