Honored Contributor

I was feeling sentimental and thinking about Christmas when I was a kid . I remembered a big white bowl filled with tangerines, grapes and mixed nuts in the shell. I know we had fruit other times in the year m but that bowl seemed so special. Good memory. 🎄

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

As a little girl, I remember fruit and nuts in our stockings.

Honored Contributor

Plus.....

81tNCOfNOXL._SY355_.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Plus.....

81tNCOfNOXL._SY355_.jpg

@Mz iMac ~ Yum, they were good tasting candies...some filled with chocolate.  The fruit flavors were delicious, and not too much as far as mint flavor.  You can still purchase these candies (in tin) through Vermont Country Store, as well as other old time favorites.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I remember the fruit and a bowl of nuts with the old fashion nut cracker.    I also remember roasting chestnuts.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1

I have the same memory regarding fruit at the holidays.

Normally, we had just apples and oranges...but at the holidays, mom would stop at the Italian markets in St. Louis near where she worked.  She would get grapes, tangerines and even a pomegranate.  Very exotic for the time, and no where near as large as the ones we see in the stores now.

I was given the task of arranging the fruit on a lovely platter.  It was always something I loved doing.  

We also had nuts in their shells which were ceremoniously cracked with a special little nutcracking squirrel Cat Happy

Such nice memories!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@QVCkitty1

I have the same memory regarding fruit at the holidays.

Normally, we had just apples and oranges...but at the holidays, mom would stop at the Italian markets in St. Louis near where she worked.  She would get grapes, tangerines and even a pomegranate.  Very exotic for the time, and no where near as large as the ones we seen in the stores now.

I was given the task of arranging the fruit on a lovely platter.  It was always something I loved doing.  

We also had nuts in their shells which were ceremoniously cracked with a special little nutcracking squirrel Cat Happy

Such nice memories!

@Witchy Woman ~ Ah, those sweet memories tucked in the corners of our mind, always come out to warm our hearts and souls, especially during Christmas. ❤️🎄💚

Honored Contributor

I remember the same wooden bowl, ever year filled with nuts and the nutcracker in the bowl.  I did the same thing for a few years at Christmas but they did not get eaten so stopped....good memory!!  We would get oranges in our stocking.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Plus.....

81tNCOfNOXL._SY355_.jpg

Oh, that makes me think of grandma's ribbon candy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Yes to the tangerine!  Following the Christmas Eve 7:00 pm service, Sunday School kids were sent home with a bag of goodies - containing mostly peanuts and hard candy, but also a few pieces of chocolate and one tangerine.  It was a treat - the only time of the year we saw tangerines!  Thanks for the memories.  Smiley Happy