Honored Contributor

My grandmother always had stockings for us at her house with oranges and walnuts that looked like they were polished - now that I think about it we lived in Southern California so oranges and walnuts were not a big treat!  

New Contributor

I remember that in my home as well...such fond memories of the simple things on Christmas and throughout the season.

Honored Contributor

We always had one of these filled with mixed nuts in the shells at Christmas time:

s-l1600.jpg

Respected Contributor

ChiliPepper. Smiley Happy

We had one of those nut-cracking bowls, too! Every holiday season, my mom would buy a big bag of mixed nuts for my dad to eat. He'd sit in his chair, watching TV, & crack the nuts. It drove my mom crazy because the next day the nut shells were EVERYWHERE. Heart

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

We had one of those nut-cracking bowls, too! Every holiday season, my mom would buy a big bag of mixed nuts for my dad to eat. He'd sit in his chair, watching TV, & crack the nuts. It drove my mom crazy because the next day the nut shells were EVERYWHERE. Heart

@spot555

LOL, I hear ya!

I can't believe we were allowed to be around & "play" with that thing. The nut "picks" that came with it were sharp!

"Put that down - you're gonna put an eye out"!!!! We never did LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

We always had one of these filled with mixed nuts in the shells at Christmas time:

s-l1600.jpg

@ChiliPepper @spot555 and @cookie16 I just saw this thread with your postings about the nut bowls. My dad had one too. When I began a whole foods diet 7 years ago, I tried to find something to replace the chips and pretzels I snacked on while watching TV. I remembered the nut bowl and bought one on ebay. It's great! It takes forever to crack and eat a few walnuts. Very satisfying and nutritious! Mine looks exactly like the one in the picture. The only problem is finding nuts in the summer. The grocery stores in our area don't carry them, so I have to send away for them.

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

@spot555  My Dad would do the same, but he would tear open a paper bag and lay it out flat for the shells, In my mind, I can still see him sitting in the chair in front of the tv cracking away, lol.