Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a "gift closet?"

I did years ago when my kids were at home and at a young age where they were invited to a lot of birthday parties, etc.  I also gave teacher gifts.  I do pretty much shop all year for Christmas and birthdays of my immediate family.  When I see something I buy it and put it away for the occasion.  I just make sure the young ones won't grow out of it or it won't expire before it is gifted.  Everything seems to have an expiration date now.  (It was a gift drawer years ago.)

Respected Contributor

I used to have a collection of neutral type gifts on hand because it seemed like I was always in need of them, but I think I have aged out of the constant birthday, baby, wedding, etc. pop-up occasions.  These days, I only have one shelf where I store gifts that have planned recipients.  Like others, I pick items up when they are on sale with specific people in mind.  I keep a list on my phone so I don't overbuy.

Honored Contributor

I've always figured "gift closets" existed only in the minds of TV shopping channel saleswomen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Marsha2003

Wow, a list on your phone...........impressive and a good idea.  

Honored Contributor

I have no gift closets.   I have a card stash.  I put cash in the card.

i do have a hand crafted coffee mug that I just purchased for my son's birthday in November.  I saw it at a craft fair and bought it.  I will tuck cash in it for his BD gift if I can wait that long.

i buy gifts just because...if I see something my family members would like, I buy it for them....I just can't seem to wait for an occasion to give it to them, so they get gifts whenever and cash for special occasions.

Respected Contributor

@Coopsmommy wrote:

@Marsha2003

Wow, a list on your phone...........impressive and a good idea.  

@Coopsmommy I have to have lists.  My memory is no longer reliable...😊

Honored Contributor

Nope....like the OP I have a gift shelf in my spare room closet where gifts are stored until I am ready to wrap.  I NEVER overspend for Christmas so having a gift closet with items just waiting to be 'given' would make no sense for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marsha2003 I think I'm in your state of age and mind. I keep my list on my laptop.

Respected Contributor

I have a gift tote bag; it contains books.

Honored Contributor

Certainly not. There is a pair of gloves on my closet shelf that I'll be giving DH for Christmas.