Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a "gift closet?"

I pick up things if I find something I think one of the kids or grandkids might like...but I usually just give it to them when I buy it and give them gift cards later. The whole "gift closet" thing used to bother me when I watched QVC on tv....especially when I heard it year-round...even if it was a random item that would be great for the nail lady, the mailman, the sprinkler repair man, the garbage man....they would go on and on!
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @lovesrecess, I'm feeling less like I don't need a gift closet reading all the responses. I understand why some have them at their stages of life and family, but I don't think I need one. 

Respected Contributor

Heck no. We don't do gifts anymore. Just money to the grandkids. 

Respected Contributor

YES.  I don’t call it a gift closet, but I do have a stash.  It includes things I think my friends will enjoy, baby gifts, etc.    Sometimes I’ll add to a gift I’ve bought and it will come from there.  If we have people over, I always give my girl friends a little something when they leave.  It’s always come in very handy. 

Honored Contributor

No, because I’m not much of a gifter these days, and don’t expect to be in the future.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back when I exchanged gifts with family and friends, I did put them in a small hall closet.....One year a friend had wanted an electric can opener.  And I put it in the closet along with other gifts to await wrapping.....well the can opener disappeared.....could never find it and I totally cleared out the closet....Friends and family teased me and said the house I was living in at that time was haunted and a ghost took it (what would a ghost do with a can opener anyway)...or the closet was an entrance to a black hole in the universe.....Anyway no more gift closets for me!  When I moved into the place I am now I quit gift closets and immediately wrap all gifts and place them under the Christmas tree..............There's only a few of us now that actually exchange a small token gift (or give a donation to a person's favorite charity)

e9e3123e7ca1579b2626bd97d0e32172.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I have a little section in my hall closet where I keep items for those last minute events that require a gift, housewarming gift, or just a thank you! Last year I ordered a sets of "as is" temp-tations bakeware and divided it into gift bags and it cost me less than $40.00 for 6 gifts. This year I was able to purchase 6 sketchers watches for $8.00/per watch to send to my niece and nephews celebrating birthdays.  

Occasional Contributor

No, I buy a gift for the person.  I do not buy random stuff in hopes of finding a person to give it to.

Respected Contributor

No.

All my closets are full. But besides that, I much rather buy gifts for the occasion and the person as needed. ( I change my mind so much, those pre- bought  “gifts” would probably end up being given away to Salvation Army or sold in the community garage sale anyhow.)

Gifts to me are personal - something I think someone likes or wants, not just because I have it in a closet ready to be given at any time. I find that to be impersonal with little thought for the recipient. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

Not a closet, but I have an extra few things that I keep in mind as a token, to lift someone's spirits, and the like.  It's all stuff I'll use but if I don't, I have and may gift.

Examples would be:  Philosophy hand lotion, Mrs. Meyers hand soap - both things I enjoy using and enjoy giving.

Cogito ergo sum