Re: Christmas in July 2021 Kick-off — June 26/27

I can't wait!  I need a Christmas tree!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those who like Christmas decor....have fun.

I know that I will not be buying any more Christmas decor...ever.

I have been cleaning out a friend's  house who is now in a care  facility.    She has thousands of dollars worth of Christmas, Easter  and Halloween decor.

Yesterday, her community had a yard sale.  We, my sister, my granddaughter and I carried boxes of new never used and lightly used like new holiday decor outside to sell.

At the end of the day, we carried most of it inside again.  We sold very little and even tried to give it away for free and failed.

This stuff wasn't cheap stuff and junk.  There was Lenox, Hummels, Beyers choice dolls, and expensive hand blown ornaments in the mix.

We cannot even find a place to donate these things.  No one wants holiday stuff this time of the year.

I don't have time to list on ebay or other online sites.  I am putting an ad on Craig's list and hopefully, we can find somone to take the whole lot.

Trusted Contributor

Yay!  I just love watching the Christmas in July shows even though I've pretty much aged out of buying new holiday decor items. The shows are so cheerful. I use decorative Christmas items from decades long past that bring back sweet memories of our family 50's and 60's Christmases, but I enjoy watching the presentations of all this new animated light-up stuff!

Respected Contributor

YAY......I LOVE CHRISTMAS programming anytime of the year...shopping, movies, concerts....you name it, I love it.

"Here Comes Santa Claus.....Here Comes Santa Claus...right down Santa Claus Lane"!!!!

See the source image

Respected Contributor

@Carmie    I don't know where you live but when I downsized a few years ago, I took boxes of Lenox Easter eggs, Victorian Christmas plates and expensive Christmas ornaments that were barely used to our Humane Society thrift store. They took everything and were glad to get it. I have bought Halloween decorations in November at church thrift sales. There is always a charity willing and glad to receive these items. Anything that they get for them is 100% donated to the charity. if you are willing to donate these items someone will take them. I also invited my neighbors and friends over and said take what you want. Great way to clean out stuff. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey   We do not have Humane Society thrift stores in my area.  I have tried to give this stuff away to the neighbors, but no takers. They did take some smaller items.

My sister is coming over to tomorrow to help. It  seems that during COVID, many people  cleaned out their stuff and the donations were overwhelming.  They don't want any more off season things.

I know that it would be easier to donate or even sell this stuff closer to the holidays, but the house is sold and I would have to bring it home with me.

Many of these things are pretty big.  The original boxes are 12x12" and 12x18".  I see some of the things she has are listed on eBay for around #70 to $80 a piece.  I might just have to bring it home and try to sell it on ebay if I can't find anyone who wants it.

Thanks for your suggestions.  Maybe with my sister, we can make some phone calls.  I sure would hate to just throw these things out and I surely am fighting with myself to bring more stuff into my home..even temporary.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

For those who like Christmas decor....have fun.

I know that I will not be buying any more Christmas decor...ever.

I have been cleaning out a friend's  house who is now in a care  facility.    She has thousands of dollars worth of Christmas, Easter  and Halloween decor.

Yesterday, her community had a yard sale.  We, my sister, my granddaughter and I carried boxes of new never used and lightly used like new holiday decor outside to sell.

At the end of the day, we carried most of it inside again.  We sold very little and even tried to give it away for free and failed.

This stuff wasn't cheap stuff and junk.  There was Lenox, Hummels, Beyers choice dolls, and expensive hand blown ornaments in the mix.

We cannot even find a place to donate these things.  No one wants holiday stuff this time of the year.

I don't have time to list on ebay or other online sites.  I am putting an ad on Craig's list and hopefully, we can find somone to take the whole lot.

@Carmie  Do you have a Nextdoor group for your neighborhood? They have a category for selling stuff. All you have to do is throw up a picture and price the stuff really well. I haven't tried any holiday stuff yet but I have been surprised at the stuff people will buy.

Honored Contributor

@froggy   I am not sure.  I guess I need to check that out.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Respected Contributor

Carmie you say no one wants the stuff and you can't even give it away but you trying to sell it on Ebay? If you can't give it away why do you think someone will buy these decorations for $80?  There is a Facebook page for Buy Nothing and Facebook marketplace where you can list things for free.  I can promise you that if you are willing to donate there is a thrift store somewhere that will gladly take your decorstions. Lots of churches have thrift stores and lots of charities have thrift stores.  Keep looking. Like you I would hate to see these items thrown away.

Honored Contributor

CIJ is even more anticipated [by me] this year.  With so many QVC items being on advanced delivery, and some then getting placed on back order, my Christmas items will be ordered very early.  

Even gifts -- although my list is small, I am making sure I get them in hand or delivered early.  This year's shipping problems seems even worse than last year.  No need to take chances, or trust the hosts when they say "it'll arrive before Christmas."