Respected Contributor
I am curious if anyone here does a different theme each year when decorating? I have my standard trees that I put up, possibly in a different location, but I do like to do something "different" each year as well. A theme.

For example, I try to have a theme for Christmas each year and will do a tree and a room or two in that theme.
Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas Theme Decorating

No "theme" for me...my tree is a hodgepodge of decorations I've collected over the years. I did go through them a couple years ago and only kept what I really liked. My tree has only hanging ornaments and lights--no picks, garlands, ribbons or clips. I can see and enjoy each ornament!

My "sit around" decorations have been the same for several years now...went through those, too, and eliminated anything I didn't love.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to change it up every year. However, for the past 4-5 years I kept the set-up the same. I only added one piece last year...that's it.

(H439932 - 'classic')

I don't see myself really purchasing any new Christmas holiday decor, but I did have my eyes on a harvest/Fall vase Valerie showed in a recent preview. I 'might' order that piece.

I guess I have reached a point that I love all that we currently have and really don't see anything new to add/change up to make improvements.

I'm still going to enjoy watching the shows though... Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Sakuya  Changing up the theme is a bit too ambitious for me. My tree has looked the same for many years, but it has moved once or twice. If anything, I will add something new each year.

Respected Contributor

@Sakuya 

Yes I have a black white red theme and if I get tired of it I'll switch.  May just leave it this way forever who knows lol.

Resized_20201208_092107.jpeg

Resized_20201207_185147.jpeg

Resized952020120795175525.jpg

Respected Contributor

No. Can't be bothered. I have 2 small trees that I don't even take the decorations off them. I just put a garbage bag over them when I'm ready to put them away until the next year. The older I get the less I want to do.

Respected Contributor

No theme. A tree and what ever decorations I like to put on it and to set out.

Contributor

I agree with you! I decorate with what means the most to me, not what a "designer" says the way a room or theme should be....that's their taste not mine. Same tree for 24 years now, favorite ornaments every year. Especially the ones my kids made in school 30-40 years ago. I glue them back together every now and then and love on them now if not more way back then. It's fun to find something I forgot about and the memories come rushing in.

Respected Contributor

@vermint - When you have things how like it becomes a nice tradition to put up your tried and true. Good for you for going through everything and only keeping what still speaks to you.

@PA Mom-to-mom - Growing up we put up the same things each year and mom got one new ornament each year. It was so fun to see who could spot it first.

@rockygems123 - What a lovely black and white tree! I like the idea of putting up a theme until one year decide you want to do something different.

@catter70 - I admit some years I don't have the energy to do what I planned. In those instances, I let myself scrap something or a few things if needed. I want to enjoy the holidays so if putting less displays up in a given year will help with that, then some things stay packed. I am sure there will come a time when I, too, will want to streamline it.
Respected Contributor

@JYWilliams - That kinda sounds like you change it up. I like the idea of putting up the ornaments that speak to you that year.

@clearpmurt - I bet your family has so much fun looking at the treasures the kids made when they were young. Our main family room tree is a timeline of what our interests were throughout the years mixed in with Christmas ornaments and of course, the ornaments the kids made in school.