Esteemed Contributor

Re: Childhood holiday memories

Like so many, a remember a time of happiness and joy of Christmas.  Even in my mid-70s, I remember a very special moment, like it was frozen in time.

I was much older than my brother, and he was little and had a strong belief in Santa.  During the afternoon on Christmas Eve, he suddenly announced he wanted a special monkey stuffed animal from Santa.  Mom was quite upset, as all stores were closed, and there was no way she could honor his request.

At some point, my father’s sister Mary, showed up at our home, with gifts for all.  And a J. Fred Muggs monkey stuffed animal for my brother!  My aunt Mary is still remembered so fondly by all, for her pure kindness and goodness in her life.  So it’s my memory of so much.

Honored Contributor

My parents had such a festive feeling at Christmas, they loved all the little traditions.  My Mother would fill bowls with nuts-- walnuts, filberts, etc.,  and my Dad and I would crack them incessantly with the nutcracker.  Decorating was fun, and piling in the car to go look at Christmas lights was a favored activity.

Loved the beautiful, timeless Christmas carols at church, and caroling in general, although I can't remember going caroling more than once or twice.  Should have gone more!  And chilly collecting door-to-door for UNICEF must be in the memory banks of many a Baby Boomer!

Christmas morning my parents delighted in making an almost fairy tale mood.  Behind the scenes, my adored Mother was very nervous and harried, pulling together a big repast for family-- turkey, all the trimmings, and my favorite, "Christmas pudding" with caramel sauce for dessert, or sometimes mince meat pie with ice cream...

It was a bit of a drag heading back to school after Christmas holiday excitement...

Esteemed Contributor

I remember all the baking my mother and her sisters did. Yummy 😋 

Respected Contributor

@Oznellyou're memory made me remember another one.  We didn't have "official" stockings so we would put up my dad's socks as our stocking.  They would be filled with walnuts, oranges, etc.  We never got toys in our stockings...those were under the tree.

Honored Contributor

Christmas was special when I was a kid.  It meant we would have company almost every evening for weeks and there was always a ton of holiday food...

nothing store bought, all homemade.

We went to Christmas Parties in town every weekend during the end of November up to Christmas.  I always had a new dress and shoes to wear.

The  House was always decorated, though we kids were not allowed to help.

Thr part I hated was going uptown for the parades and to look at the animated Christmas figures in the store windows.  I always got so sick in the car.  I got motion sickness until I learn to drive.  Oh, how I hated to go anywhere that was more than a block or two away.

Honored Contributor

@Travone,  agreed, many a time we did the Dad's-sock-for- Christmas-stocking thing too!  Why not improvise with what you had?  I'd forgotten that!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I grew up in the wintry NE so I always associate snow with Christmas although I haven't lived there in almost 40 years!  I also loved the decorations in the stores downtown.  We always had outside lights that would twinkle in the snow - that is until the energy crisis of the '70's.  Dad stopped putting up outside lights.  My Mom and Dad both loved decorating and every surface of our home had a holiday touch!  Mom would bake dozens of sugar cookies and my Grandma and I would ice and decorate them.  My brother and I would be SO excited to see what Santa was going to bring.  Our family rule was that my brother and I would be allowed to open a gift from each other on Christmas Eve.  My Dad would set up booby traps in the hallway to keep my brother and I from sneaking into the living room to do a bit of peeking!  Happy times!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

Every year we'd go downtown to a Department Store known as Joske's where their upper floor was turned into a Christmas "Fantasy Land"....there were long lines but it was worth the wait.....Sadly Joske's went out of business but still a special happy memory for many of us in our city...

Image result for joskes at christmas in san antonio

Image result for joskes at christmas in san antonio

Image result for joskes fantasy land at christmas in san antonio

@Spurt   There was a department store called The Emporium which had a carnival on the roof at Christmas with a merry-go-round, rides, Santa, etc., I think so parents could shop for the kids without their seeing what they were doing.

Respected Contributor

I use to love going to JJ Berry's looking at the toys. Then afterwards we would go get a Milkshake at the dinner inside the store.

Respected Contributor

We had so many Christmas years at my parents house. I don’t know who loved it more the parents or our children. My Mom bless her did it all herself. Dad just put the extra chairs at the table. We always cleaned up while she enjoyed her grandchildren. Many years later we still talk about it.