Honored Contributor

Are your Christmas ornaments in danger?

F6CF844B-7192-49BB-822D-6B9FAFCD346C.jpeg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Are your Christmas ornaments in danger?

Been there, done that.  Years ago I had a little Siamese mix cat named Daisy who I adopted from a local shelter.  That Christmas I got a real tree.  She liked to sleep under it, but one night she crawled up the trunk and the tree came tumbling down.  I sat on the floor and cried because one of my grandmother's ornaments was cracked but I was able to glue it back together.  She only lived a year (feline leukemia, way back when they didn't do testing) but she was a very sweet little girl.  

Honored Contributor

No never; thanks to a combination of never having had an inside cat, and the fact we no longer put up a tree.   

Honored Contributor

Here, it's a dogs tail that can cause issues!

With dogs and babies, everyone can be protected!!!

Amazon.com: Christmas Tree Fence

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach - LOL! THOSE ornaments and homemade ones go up high. We put unbreakable ones on the bottom branches! In all of our years together we've lost very few. And those were not the kitties' fault!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach Too cute!

Super Contributor

No!  Anybody who has cats knows Christmas Trees, glass ornaments, and cats don't mix.  The safety of my cats has priority. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ah yes, my dogs would send ornaments flying with their tails. Much more than the cats who didn't seem to care much about the ornaments - even as kittens. I found that hanging the unbreakable ornaments - I had a nice collection of metal and wooden ornaments - at the bottom of the tree (tail level) made it much easier. 

One of my cats likes to chew on the faux tree though (for reasons known only to her) so these days I tend to hang ornaments on the garland instead.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I have two of those little murders in my house, but surprisingly, having had a total of 5 cats in my adult life, not a single one seemed too interested in messing with the decorated tree. They mostly like to just lay under it and nap. 

Now the two cats I have now, when they were very young outdoor ferals that we found, destroyed our older tree that I would keep put together in the basement and covered with a sheet until time to put it out. It must have seemed like a real tree to them, because even though covered, they were up in it all the time. No big loss. It had seen better days and was quite old. I needed an excuse to replace it, and they gave it to me! LOL