Honored Contributor

HAPPY EPIPHANY TO THOSE WHO OBSERVE

Sarah-Maitland-why-do-we-pine-for-Christmas-trees--d1adc5d.jpg

Hoping that all who observe it have a happy Epiphany, (January 6) the day marking the arrival of the Magi.

Epiphany emphasizes different historical events in different tradtions, but is usually marked by happy observances in all countries in which it occurs. 

In some Eastern tradtions, it is observed on days other than the 6th, such as January 19.  Ethiopia marks it then, and it is called "Timkat".  Flatbreads, sometimes filled with delicious meats, and freshly roasted coffee are part of the traditions.

In Wales, Epiphany is known as "Ystwyll",  and a large cake is baked to share, (similar to New Orleans' "King Cake") in which rings are hidden.  Wales also shares with England the tradition of the Yule log and wassail.

Marches and parades mark the day in Poland, and an old traditional Polish saying is that "If the sun shines on Three Kngs Day, spring wil be here right away!"  (The sun has been weakly shining where I am now!)  

Brazil celebrates with music, feasting and observes the tradition of putting away Christmas decorations on Epiphany.

In Britain of long ago, and some other countries, small presents were exchanged on the 6th.  My mother had a vague idea that her family had an old tradition of doing that.

Epiphany eve is the famous "Twelfth Night" of song and story.

Whether you observe on the 6th, or the 19th, according to different calendars, hope your day is special. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAPPY EPIPHANY TO THOSE WHO OBSERVE

My mother was of Russian decent.  The Epiphany was known to us as "Little Christmas", marking the end of the Christmas season. As a child, I remember the Christmas tree and decorations were taken down afterwards, awaiting the upcoming Easter celebration.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for your post.  The Epiphany is important and special to me. 

Honored Contributor

Wishing-you-all-a-very-Happy-Epiphany-Day

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme@Patriot3 ,  and @meallen616 ,

I'm so glad others share an interest in this lovely tradition.

I just lit 3 tea lights (3 kings) and have adopted the Ethiopian tradition of drinking a rich cup of coffee to mark the day!

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Oznell for the reminder.  It isn't a tradition my church observes but I appreciate it now and enjoyed your post!  May you have many gifts and blessings this year!  You are a blessing to me!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up, we always knew that Dia  de los
Reyes was on the 6th of January.  Even though it was just past Christmas, we always put a shoe out our bedroom door.  Next morning, we found some small goodies from the Three Kings!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for this informative post.  We never remove our Christmas decor until after Epiphany.  I never understood why people were in such a hurry to remove decorations for such an important day in the Christian religion.  Just me.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - What a beautiful picture, and thanks for your thread!  In our family we used to have a special reading at dinner and acknowledge the day. Now our schedules are all over the place and we don't eat dinner together.

But we still acknowledge the day, and we know how important it is to us and to our faith.

And tomorrow the trees will go out back for the birdies, and the snowmen will appear in our home!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks, kind @Sooner ,  and blessings to you as well!

That special reading of yours in observance of the day, @beach-mom ,  is such a good way to commemorate something so important to us.