Honored Contributor

Thinking of Pawning Your Birkin Bags? Save the Box!

"Upscale pawn shop" sounds like an oxymoron. But the owner of one, with stores in Beverly Hills and New York, tells about the popularity of Birkin bags, and their high resale value. Incredibly, their value has increased more than gold in the past 35 years: about 500 percent! The ones that bring in the most cash are those made of exotic skins, and accompanied by the original box and dust bag.

I want one for my birthday, lol.

Here's the link to the interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/fashion/new-york-upscale-pawnshop-hermes-birkin-bag.html?smid=nyt...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of Pawning Your Birkin Bags? Save the Box!

@handygal2 wrote:

"Upscale pawn shop" sounds like an oxymoron. But the owner of one, with stores in Beverly Hills and New York, tells about the popularity of Birkin bags, and their high resale value. Incredibly, their value has increased more than gold in the past 35 years: about 500 percent! The ones that bring in the most cash are those made of exotic skins, and accompanied by the original box and dust bag.

I want one for my birthday, lol.

Here's the link to the interesting article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/fashion/new-york-upscale-pawnshop-hermes-birkin-bag.html?smid=nyt...

why wouldn't you keep the orange box?

I have a couple of things from Hermes and keep them in the box 

Honored Contributor

I have never owned anything from Hermes, but if I did I would definitely keep my bag!!!!!!! I love how those Birkin Bags look but I will probably never own one! Way too rich for me....lol! 

Honored Contributor

Gracious....that article was so sad.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom: I agree. There's something that doesn't make sense about someone owning a Birkin bag needing to pawn it...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I didn't read it

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom: I agree. There's something that doesn't make sense about someone owning a Birkin bag needing to pawn it...

got it

all show no dough?

Honored Contributor

Wonder what percentage of pawned Birkins are reclaimed?  The owner of that bag talked optimistically about getting hers back, but there weren't details in the article that made me feel one way or the other that she ever would.

In the meantime, without a job right now, better food and rent than a beautiful bag tucked on a shelf.

Super Contributor

hmmm. . . .  Birkin bag, Barbie doll, action figure, boxed set of baseball cards or whatever . . .  Anything collectible is always worth more with the original box and all original accessories. But collecting anything when you cannot afford it? In my world, paying bills and food on the table comes first.

Hugs. . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!