Respected Contributor

The joys of a wicker handbag!

I remember having a beloved wicker handbag in high school. So spring. Haven't had one since.

One of my favorite handbag designers, Patricia Nash, just came out with a spring line of wicker. I'm loving this one.

Patricia Nash Lucena Wicker Satchel

12 x 8-3/4 x 4-1/2

819PPjmR1ZL._SX480_.jpg

81kV6I5-oFL._SX480_.jpg

This new wicker bag is on her web site, as well as on Zappos.

Patricia Nash is celebrating her first anniversary at HSN April 17. Can't wait to see what she offers.

Love to see and hear about your wicker bags!

Respected Contributor

Re: The joys of a wicker handbag!

Here's the Lucena in multi stripe wicker! How fun.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 10.57.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 10.58.12 AM.png

Respected Contributor

Update!

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.04.28 AM.png

Macy's has the Lucena at 30% off today!

Honored Contributor

What year were wicker handbags popular?

I really don't seem to remember them? Don't know anyone that had one.

I do remember straw type bags & that type you see when you go to the beach.

I looked at some pics online of wicker handbags & some look nice & some look like picnic baskets. 

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz:

In my life, it was the 1960s.

Here's a blurb on the history of wicker handbags, from a collector's blog:

In the early 1950s, the casual handbag emerged, as women demanded purses that were both fashionable and capable of holding all their cosmetics and accessories. Large shoulder shopping totes made from straw seemed to capture the spirit of summer and vacationing on the beach. Soon, affordable and sprightly little baskets of woven rushes were all the rage, like those made by the likes of Los Doradas. These often resembled small handheld picnic baskets with ribbons and decorative elements on top, like plastic or fabric fruits or flowers. This down-market trend, started by Dorset Rex of New York, never appeared on the pages of Vogue, but were well-loved by the “dance hall crowd.” Such bright, colorful straw bags remained popular well into the '60s, when whimsy became the new black. Straw handbags made of plaited raffia, rattan, rushes, willow, cane, and dried grasses didn’t remain the domain of the plebes for long. In the mid-1950s, sophisticated straw handbags appeared in southern France. Eaton Bag Company issued elegant raffia baskets, as well as trunks made of black-lacquered straw closed with a gilded lock and key. Elizabeth Arden even created a high-fashion take on a shrimp basket, outfitted with a compass in 1956. By 1958, giant hand-woven basket bags were finally staples of high-fashion magazines. Nantucket, an American company that had been selling straw baskets since the turn of the century, began producing rattan purses, and these became status symbols for the wealthy yachting set who would sail between Nantucket Island and the Riviera. These bags were coveted for their tight weaves, tops and bottoms made of hardwoods like walnut, hand-carved bone ornaments and fasteners, and leather hinges closures wrapped in rattan. Coach, meanwhile, made the straw purse classy and affordable for office workers, adding durable leather trim and handles.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor Well I was born in 58 so must be why I don't really remember them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To handbag gals who have posted on Patricia Nash threads, wanted to give you the heads up on the new wicker and wonder what you think? 

@Kachina624 @beatlefan @chessylady @Chi-town girl @Roni18 @handygal2 @Linmo @Leeny @Pecky @viewer45 @hicindy2 @EdithEllenLily @stellabystarlight

and my delightful handbag sister @stevieb, who always has something useful to say about handbags . . .

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor I am not as much into wicker as to straw and crochet bags.  Loving the one over at Brighton..been into the store 3 times to admire it.  

Sierra Straw Hobo in

Pix from the 1960's

Image result for images 1960's crocheted bags

Classic John Romain

Image result for images 1960's seventeen magazine straw bags

Image result for images 1960's john romain straw bags

Image result for images 1960's john romain straw bags

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2: Oh, lush! Is it a small drawstring or a large one?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professorwrote:

@hicindy2: Oh, lush! Is it a small drawstring or a large one?

@1Professor The Brighton Sierra

• Width: 16"
  • Height: 12"
  • Depth: 4"
  • Strap: 10"
  • Top Closure: Magnetic flap
  • Interior Pockets: 3
  • Exterior Material: Straw
  • Interior Lining: Cotton
  • Features: Key holderImage result for images brighton sierra straw hobo

They have a Raffia bucket bag that says Girl's Night Out to me