Esteemed Contributor

Re: So, it seems Oryany is a goner, Kestenberg is out, they've killed whatever dignity Tignanello ha

I have 3 Gilli handbags that I got on clearance for around $100.....that is about all they are worth....I bought them for the color.....

Respected Contributor

Re: So, it seems Oryany is a goner, Kestenberg is out, they've killed whatever dignity Tignanello ha

I am not sure if Q is squeezing out other vendors as much as they are putting on what is selling.  I quit buying Tig bags years ago, when the handles went to man made materials and the bag was still leather.  BMac and Kathy Z went away on their own, just like Michael Dawkins in jewerly.

I think the decission to show a brand is also based on obtaining the brand as a Q partner as well as they number of those items selling.  It it not seeing in volume then it is a lose/lose for the vendor and the channel.  Hopefully they will be able to obtain a few new vendors for viewing.

Deb

Respected Contributor

Until Dooney leaves, it's going to be an endless loop. Lines that sell well get the most airtime and prime viewing slots. Because they sell the most, they get more airtime.  GILI will get promoted because its a house brand. 

Oryani has been on ilife support since last year. I remember posting about an entry an employee had made on glassdoor..com. They mentioned not having enough to do. That wasn't a good sign. Bethani Lori had posted on Facebook that there's big changes ahead. She'll be back--probably not with Oryani.

The Oryani that I have come across outside of QVC was in a TJ Maxx.

Handbag brands seem to come and go on shopping channels. When they start out, they want exposure it affords them:. When they achieve that, they usually expand through other retailers. They let the contract expire and they go. Sometimes the product isn't popular. But sometimes they don't get a footing. 

Sometimes when handbag lines are in trouble, they turn to shopping channels to resuscitate their sales.  Many years ago, Dooney probably hit a slump and turned to the Q. At the time, I don't know if they had a web presence. If they did,  it was probably not much of one. Coach was gaining the market share. It was a good relationship. It used to be a rare treat when Dooney and Bourke came. They didn't show up that often. I know it wasn't monthly. 

Of course, this is all complicated by the dominance of Amazon, the failture of  many B&Ms and the changing market. Even though the job market has rebounded, many people simply don't have the disposable income to spend like they used to. 

Honored Contributor

Bethanie Lori for QVC

I'll be back soon. No worries! Big changes for me this year!

posted on facebook two days ago......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

ORYANY was an offshoot of the MAXX NY handbags.

that business went under and now probably oryany is on life support.

no big surprise there.

i have a number of GILI handbags/crossbody bags that are huge, big, mediium, and small. i have found the quality to be quite good and i LOVE when i can get them on sale. i have bought some at full price and others on lunchtime special pricing. i do wish they would expand their colors and their prints. it doesnt have to be a big well known name brand for me all the time. if the quality is there, the function is there, and the overall look attracts me, then i am in.....no matter who is making it or selling it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@kjae wrote:

But, they continue to push the GILI inferior quality-no matter what Jill says- bags at every chance they get.  GILI is so very  overpriced.  Outrageously overpriced.  Where did you hear that orYANY and Kestenberg were out?  And the Dooney bags are way expensive for what they are.  I am sorry Dooney lovers.  Dooney does not sell well in stores anymore but you would never know that when looking at the Q programming.  I think that the Q is just moving away from handbags period. They are a company that needs to make a profit and they are constantly reevalating the direction to go with in products presented on air.  Look what has happened to all of their jewelry lines that are fading in airtime alotted.

You're right. The upscale handbag industry has been in the midst of a major reset for some time.

As for gili, why invest in an unknown house brand? I never like their styles, anyway, and I cannot watch their hired spokesgirl. Obnoxious.

Speaking of Gili, I have a few bags from the early days that I like and think were priced somewhat reasonably, given the quality. By many accounts, the quality and style have both diminshed since the line was re-imagined, after Lisa R's departure... I notice they tend to introduce these bags for top dollar and then drop the price markedly very quickly... I haven't personally thought any of the bags offered has been particularly attractive in a long, long time, and I agree, I don't care for the current spokesperson for this house brand. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

All I know is that if you're looking to buy a new purse, and you're not a D&B fan, then looking at QVC is wasted time.

They added Kipling.  As far as I know (and I certainly could be wrong), they had 2 shows on one day and were never seen again.

There are 42 gazillion handbag manufacturers.  It wouldn't hurt them to offer a few more brands.  Who knows?????  Maybe we'd actually like those brands and buy them.

As for D&B?  I don't even watch.  Their bags are traditionally too heavy for me.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

Josie Maran says all the time how limited the supply of Argon Oil is due to it taking 14 years for the fruit to grow and that it is only grown in a small area. But then they have hour after hour of the stuff and keep making the size of the container larger. So how limited is the supply? Those poor ladies that sit and crack open the fruit must be working overtime.

Honored Contributor

I'm not into Dooney anymore but I did used to enjoy the OCCASIONAL Dooney shows... When, like most of what QVC now beats into the ground, they became a fixture, I grew weary of seeing them, just as I've grown weary of seeing virtually all the repetition... QVC doesn't need all these hosts... They rarely offer fresh, new or different anymore so they might as well just run videotapes...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just purchased the Oryany hobo in that beautiful red color they came out with recently at a great sale price......it's a beautiful, soft, well-made quality bag.......I like it much better than any of my Dooney bags.