Trusted Contributor

Hi to All the Handbag Lovers!!

Anyone have or thinking about getting a sling bag?  

I just bought the MZ Wallace Crosby Sling bag in Metallic Rose.  It is pretty but I've never had a bag in this style not sure if I will wear.  It seems a little odd to me to have my bag across my chest and torso like that.  

But.... maybe I just haven't seen many around in my area and it'll take some carrying to get used to it.  IDK.

I am just looking for some thoughts from those that have and like this style.  

THANKS!!!  Happy MLK holiday weekend!!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have one. I live in Minneapolis--a city rife with crime the last couple years. Although small for someone who likes to carry ALL her treasures, I use it when I feel vulnerable. And by vulnerable I mean carjackings at gunpoint at 3:00 in the afternoon at the grocery store in really good neighborhoods.😢

My condo association held a zoom meeting last night with a police officer who shared various ways we can protect ourselves in these troubling times. He did say women should not carry a satchel or a shoulder bag. A crossbody is safer and I personally feel a sling that wears very close to my body and sometimes even inside my jacket the safest.

Respected Contributor

In the winter I often wear my crossbody bag beneath my outerwear coat. It is just a good idea to be extra safe. The bonus is that when you remove your coat, you are not getting tangled in the handbag straps.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @magicmoodz 

Thanks for your input.  Sorry to hear about the crime happening in your area.  That sucks!  I hope you stay safe.  I feel like as a woman, we always have to be so careful.  Then add in the heightened sense.  It's nice your condo assoc had that policeman come.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi @On It 

I also do that with my crossbody bags.  I do like it under the coat.  So much better!

The sling style is higher up on the body and I wonder if I could close my coat??? I'll have to check it out.  

Esteemed Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

Hi @magicmoodz 

Thanks for your input.  Sorry to hear about the crime happening in your area.  That sucks!  I hope you stay safe.  I feel like as a woman, we always have to be so careful.  Then add in the heightened sense.  It's nice your condo assoc had that policeman come.  

@justashopper 

Thank you for your kind words.🥀

Respected Contributor

Re: Sling Style Handbags

[ Edited ]

I had no idea what a sling bag was -  imagine my surprise when I saw the very bag I have had for about the last 25 years. It is the one that I take whenever I travel out of the country and I bought it from LL Bean.  

CDCD1A4E-9D7B-4520-8BAB-74A36678417D.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sling Style Handbags

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum 

Right!!  They are not new.  It's like a one strap back pack. Do you wear the bag in the front?  That's the new part for me.  When I had bags like this in the past, I wore the bag in the back.  

PS Love your LL Bean!!  

Respected Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

@Bhvbum 

Right!!  They are not new.  It's like a one strap back pack. Do you wear the bag in the front?  That's the new part for me.  When I had bags like this in the past, I wore the bag in the back.  

PS Love your LL Bean!!  

Depends on where I am, ie Metro, grocery, because the strap is adjustable and you can wear it cross body or tucked under your arm.