Respected Contributor

Why do they make these beautiful larger bags and put thin straps on them?  I mean if they are a good size bag you're going to fill it and it will be heavy.  I need a wide, thick strap for the shoulder.  So many bags I've returned for that very reason.

Respected Contributor

@makena

I've wondered the same thing. I've noticed this especially with the heavy Dooney bags. It doesn't make sense.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shoulder Straps on Bags

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse I recently returned a beautiful bag to HSN ... Patricia Nash.  I so wanted it but not if it's uncomfortable and painful to wear.  The straps on the big bags are the same ones they use on the small ones!

Honored Contributor

I always thought it would be a good idea if straps were sold separately.  Especially brands that have their own stores.

Respected Contributor

My old Bruce M bag has a very thick/wide and padded strap..... I've never seen any other bag do this... 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

Some of the bag companies, Nash included, do offer straps for sale separate from those that come with the bags... Add-on "guitar" straps appeared to be getting big for a while, but they're often pricey.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb I know PN has additional straps, but you can't use them on all the bags.  For the prices being charged they should have a substantial strap.  Then if you want to spend the additional money for a different strap, it's a nice option.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shoulder Straps on Bags

[ Edited ]

Another thing I noticed about straps. On the crossbody bags the straps are often so long the models are wearing the bag part down on their thigh. On a couple I have even when on the highest hole they are still so long and if you punch holes in higher up, which I have tried, so it doesn't sit so low then the tail end of the strap often starts to stick out and curl.

I have a pretty little Brighton crossbody bag that doesn't have an adjustable strap that I have a knot with about a 2 inch loop I tied in it that sits on my shoulder so it doesn't sit so low. The strap is like a thin braided soft leather so that works.

Respected Contributor

Have to agree with you all. Some bags even though they are leather, the strap is faux leather. That's not going to last long if you load up the bag.I think Tiganello uses faux leather straps.

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

Why do they make these beautiful larger bags and put thin straps on them?  I mean if they are a good size bag you're going to fill it and it will be heavy.  I need a wide, thick strap for the shoulder.  So many bags I've returned for that very reason.

@makena  Because my larger bags are loaded and heavy, the shoulder strap makes or breaks the purchase. Those narrow straps are painful and useless. Some DB hobo bags have a wide adjustable strap. That’s a go to for me.