Honored Contributor

Re: Satchel Santas, Ho-Ho-Hobos and Other Indulgences Y'all... 4Q-2015

@stevieb wrote:

Before I bug off completely... for anyone interested, Dooney is having a sale too... 'Buy more and save'...  I won't be, but in case others are in a Dooney shopping mood, have at it...

stevie, you little enablerWoman Wink

Honored Contributor

Goodnight @Sister Golden HairHeart Sweet dreams, always.

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

Edith, did you read my post about my Magic store buys?

Of course, I'm in a little bit of deep water with the HMWoman Sad

I did @Sister Golden Hair! You scored some wonderful brands at great prices! I still don't know about that Marley brand...will need to look it up tomorrow. Yes, I saw you got into trouble with our Beloved HM...lord knows I know that volume IS a problem...

Edith, for sure, I will be glad when that walk-in closet is done.

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

Goodnight @Sister Golden HairHeart Sweet dreams, always.

Goodnight and you will have dozens of handbags dancing in your headHeart

Or is it visions of sugarplums, something like that.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Hope you had a nice day @EdithEllenLily... No food coma here, but I did just have a small snack, having eaten really early. Mom makes the best homemade potato salad and it's more or less a holiday tradition. It's become a bit of a struggle for her, but it was delicious, so I just had a small saucer with a few pieces of leftover turkey...

Up until recently, I was still seeing scads of great bags at the Maxx and still see some, but not like I'm used to seeing. Likewise their housewares section. They do still have some good clothes options. Here's hoping they step it up. On the other hand, if they don't, well, I guess I don't really need such an easy-access shopping destination...

I'm not even opening most of the shopping emails (of which there are just too many), which makes it easier to ignore all the options out there, none of which do I need in the first place !!

@stevieb: l have unsubscribed from all of those stores' shopping emails for that very reason. If l feel l need something, l will seek THEM out. It saves me a lot of $$ in the long run!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Boy, I'll tell you, my local TJ Maxx better step it up big time and quick. I usually shop at another Maxx store but last Christmas 'my' store was nicely stocked. Today, I did a quick walk-thru and it was meager. Very few nicer bags, like an explosion of Steve Madden pleather and it's been that way for a while... I hope the Maxx's buyers aren't either cheaping out or having trouble getting nicer stock. The housewares aisle was pitiful, mainly another explosion, this time of coffee mugs. The cosmetics offering were meager too... I guess there's a lot of competition these days for overstocks from nicer stores, but like I said, they better jump to... Thankfully, I've done most of my shopping and a good bit of it came from the Maxx and Marshall's and a good bit form TJ Maxx's website, but this trip was disappointing. 

Similar situation around Chicagoland @stevieb! It's fun to go look and check out styles that you see online, but I haven't found any handbags to buy at our TJ Maxx stores in ages! 

Hi @EdithEllenLily and @stevieb .....  When I was down the shore this past summer I went to TJMaxx and Marshall's.  The handbag selection was pitiful.  Same thing in my local TJMaxx and Marshall's.  There were times in the past when I had seen several really nice bags there .  Don't know what has happened. 

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@Serendipity wrote:

3 Musketeers for meHeart

Mounds for me, or snickers.

Twix, here.

Hi @Serendipity and @handygal2 ........ make that Mounds for me too! 

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Serendipity wrote:

@stevieb I had to log on to tell you that I saw your Versace satchel in brown for 79.99 on Groupon. No black was showing. And it said limited. Not sure where you saw it or for how much, but wanted to let you know. Hope you at least see this before it sells out. Happy Thanksgiving! 

Thanks @Serendipity, I saw it there last night too and in black...must be gone today. I also saw it in several other places for good prices. Assuming the one I saw on still another site is still available, I might go ahead and place the order. If so, I think I like the black one best... It was the one that initially caught my eye, and usually, I find, going with my first impression is best.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving too... 

stevie, are you going  to fall off the wagon??Woman LOL

I might @Sister Golden Hair, but let me just point out one little thing and that is that even if I do, it won't even begin to compare with the damage the rest of you have done...

Woman Surprised 

Hey wait a minute @stevieb .. I thought there were no valid excuses for falling off the wagon.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

The year my Mother passed away was the day after Thanksgiving.

In 1987 my Father passed away 2 days before Christmas.

They had both been sick for a long time, so it was a blessings they passed.

But I have wonderful memories of great holidaysHeart

A blessing, perhaps, but still sad @Sister Golden Hair...  

I too have some wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas memories, even though I now find it a somewhat bittersweet season... 

Why do you find it somewhat bittersweet now @stevieb?

I guess @EdithEllenLily because for some, the holidays lose a good bit of their magic as we age... I think that up to a point, though they were different as we went through life's stages, they were still ever-changing with new experiences, Somewhere along the line for many of us, I think, things change, we face losses in many ways, and while we're still making memories, they aren't quite as special somehow. A sort of 'been there-done that' feeling seeps in, so while the season continues to be special, I suppose the memory of holidays gone by are more glowing than 'Christmas present' usually tends to be, and yet those feelings from 'yesteryear' still influence us in the present. Believe me, I'm not 'against' the holidays, I just don't find I savor them as I once did. I think too they're a time when we think about and miss those no longer with us. Then too, let's face it, as we get older the whole 'holiday season' can become a pretty challenging ordeal...

I agree, @stevieb, and you expressed it so eloquently. It's those memories of the days gone by, and loved ones who are gone, that do make the holidays bittersweet for me, as well.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Hope you had a nice day @EdithEllenLily... No food coma here, but I did just have a small snack, having eaten really early. Mom makes the best homemade potato salad and it's more or less a holiday tradition. It's become a bit of a struggle for her, but it was delicious, so I just had a small saucer with a few pieces of leftover turkey...

Up until recently, I was still seeing scads of great bags at the Maxx and still see some, but not like I'm used to seeing. Likewise their housewares section. They do still have some good clothes options. Here's hoping they step it up. On the other hand, if they don't, well, I guess I don't really need such an easy-access shopping destination...

I'm not even opening most of the shopping emails (of which there are just too many), which makes it easier to ignore all the options out there, none of which do I need in the first place !!

Your Thanksgiving dinner with your Mom sounded traditionally delicious @stevieb!!! Woman Very Happy It is so nice to indulge at Thanksgiving dinner! We did the same, but way too much! I brought Mom out to my sister's house for the meal at noon; Mr. Lily brought the food we made (my fresh cranberries in the oven, the Hello Dolly cookie bars and his mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar and butter). My sister made a turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, peas and rolls -- and then ordered THREE pies from their local orchard (pumpkin, apple and pecan). Everything was yummy, but it was just not right how much food we all ate. Thus, the food coma! Woman Frustrated No dinner at all for me, but I did sneak a few mini Milky Way Midnights. Woman Wink

Those Black Friday emails are out of control!!! SO MANY! Like you, I delete most of them. Some send two or three per day! Nutty.

Hi @stevieb and @EdithEllenLily ... DH and I went to my brother's mother-in-law's house.  She always makes too much food:  a whole turkey; a turkey breast; two types of stuffing; stuffed mushrooms; string beans; broccoli in cheese sauce; Brussels sprouts; mashed potatoes; ... and I made fresh cranberries and sweet potatoes.  Plus there were all sorts of pies for dessert.  DH and I eat way too much!