Contributor

I am trying to decide if I want to get the Dooney and Bourke zip zip satchel in the saffiano leather. Would like to know anyone's experience with saffiano leather and what you think.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gransandy,  I have more than one zip-zip, and all are pebble leather.  I have one bag in safiano from another designer for a song on a Macy's sale.  Only to me, the pebble leather looks like real leather.  The safiano could be real or could be imitation.  I don't think it has much character.  Would suggest, if you can, to go to a store to see the difference.

Honored Contributor

Re: Saffiano or Not

[ Edited ]

It's a matter of individual choice. I like most leathers, including Saffiano. I like the sleek look, texture, durability and ease of maintenance.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

To me, Saffiano is the most durable of all the leather finishes. My light-colored summer bags have to be Saffiano, b/c l find that they resist dirt and dye-transfer from dark jeans better than any other type of leather. Some people feel Saffiano doesn't look like real leather, and looks more like vinyl. I don't agree. If it's a quality brand, like Dooney, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Brahmin, etc., l don't find that to be the case.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

The benefit of the Saffiano version of the zip zip is that it's a solid color and doesn't have that tan trim. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I love most ALL leathers but I stop short at Saffiano.  I'm also a structured handbag girl for the most part but to me, the Saffiano leather looks like vinyl.  Just my personal preference.  This leather does however provide one of the stiffest structured handbags and is extremely durable.  Also, I found it difficult to get in and out of a zippered top Saffiano bag without scratching my hands on the zipper while going in and out.... that frustrates me no end.... Woman Frustrated 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Also, I found it difficult to get in and out of a zippered top Saffiano bag without scratching my hands on the zipper while going in and out.... that frustrates me no end..

===============================

The exception to this would be the Zip-zip because of how wide it opens.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I used to be a purist and would have nothing to do with Saffiano leather, thought it looked like vinyl, but....

Then.....I bought the light grey zip zip satchel last spring in Saffiano, and LOVE it.  Am considering a black one next.

It looks rich and expensive in an entirely different way than the more equestrian looking styles and leathers.  I  believe I have had the most compliments on any of my Dooneys on this one, they are constant, and if it isn't something said, it's admiring looks.  My husband likes this one the best too.  

It is so classy, yet so classic, and my zipper works smoothly and doesn't scratch my hands at all; love this style.  And yes, it's nice to have the entire bag one color.

It's also lighter in weight, and that is now important to me.  

It is totally durable, no stains on it, no scratches, looks like new and holds its structure nicely but isn't as stiff as some of the old AWL bags I had that weighed a ton.

In the end, it's up to you, whether or not you like the look and feel of it.  It was hard convincing me, but in the end I am so very glad I took the chance and ordered this one.

Super Contributor

I really, really dislike it. It looks very cheap and plastic to me. It definitely doesn't look expensive to me, looks like Walmart. It's super popular, I see lots of Kors in the stores so it must sell. I prefer leather that looks like leather. 

Super Contributor

I do have 2 zip zips and love them. Only negative is the shoulder strap. It's tin and hurts after awhile.