Esteemed Contributor

Kipling Fans: Sad Day

[ Edited ]

I have been a LONG TIME Kipling fan and have a bunch, particularly the Defea style.  Went to Macy's to have a quick look/see and Kipling has increased their price and lowered their quality.  On the latest models: the fabric was thinner, the zippers flimsy plastic, and the hardware on the zippers pulls etc. looked inexpensive.  You might want to go to Amazon and pick up some of the oldies while there is stock.  

I went home and hugged the ones that I have and said "no new friends for you until things change".  

So many of our treasured brands have been compromised.  I was hoping that Kipling had avoided the pressure and stayed on track. 

Older model (Defea)

Image result for images kipling defea

New plastic zippers and cheaper fobs.  Tiny monkey charm

Image result for images kipling leandre plover

Honored Contributor

@hicindy2

You don't even get a monkey any more?  Geez.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama   Now this is STRANGE.  Right after I posted this, Kipling sent me an e-mail about "new vintage" I'm kinda spooked.  

"Our Alvar crossbody bag is now available with original features like our retro contrast logo and large zippers. This classic style is perfect for everyday thanks to the practical two zipped main compartments and extra zipped pockets on the front. Loved for its size and versatility this crossbody is a must-have for anyone on-the-go".

Honored Contributor

@hicindy2

At least the turquoise one comes with a monkey, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I really love the monkey! I was always worried that I would look too juvenile walking around with one. Glad they didn't get rid of the little guy entirely.

Do you use Gmail?

I once emailed a friend and mentioned "deer snacking" in her vegetable garden. Do you know that in the sidebar to the right, I noticed banners for fencing and deer repellent? 

That was scary. Because it didn't take long.

I have complained about prices of certain accessories or products on this site, only to find that someone ahd adjusted prices after I said "I would never buy at at ....price." That also was scary.

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of Kipling!

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@libbyannE   It started in 1987 in Belgium and sold here starting in 1993. They chose the name from Rudyard Kipling (Jungle Book), hence the monkey.  They were/are crinkled nylon no fuss bags to take on "adventures".  

@JavaQueen  I know what you mean about G-mail.  My husband will go to it after me and say "I guess you've been on Amazon again" based on the advertising ribbon on the right side of the screen. Spooky !!

Respected Contributor

@hicindy2 wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@libbyannE   It started in 1987 in Belgium and sold here starting in 1993. They chose the name from Rudyard Kipling (Jungle Book), hence the monkey.  They were/are crinkled nylon no fuss bags to take on "adventures".  

@JavaQueen  I know what you mean about G-mail.  My husband will go to it after me and say "I guess you've been on Amazon again" based on the advertising ribbon on the right side of the screen. Spooky !!

@hicindy2

Hi. I read the item because it said "Kipling," so I assumed it as about the author, not a handbag! I liked the look of the one you pictured, and lightweight nylon certainly makes sense if one is traveling.