Honored Contributor

Did anyone watch the presentation of the Roma3 handbag today? I recorded it but haven't watched yet. Thoughts???

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

I didn't watch it but saw the video. I thought it looked much smaller than I anticipated and much smaller than my GILI stirrup that was the TSV last month. If they would have offered ivory or blush I would have been tempted though.

Honored Contributor

Hi gramy-I think a smaller version of my fav Roma2 might be nice a nice option for evenings/weekends. Glad all color options are still available, will watch the show later to see if it helps me to make a decision.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

I happened to catch it just as it started. It was not very good, in my opinion, because the bag didn't look good. I thought it was a choppy presentation. Although "GILI Jill" has a great figure and a sparkly personality -- someone you'd laugh with and have fun with in a group -- she seems to me to be OK only in very small doses. The voice, the physical animation, the jumping around -- it's all too much for me to watch on TV.

I don't usually watch the Q presentations "live," so I'm not used to the host (Amy) referring to a Roma 3 as "she." I kept looking around to see who "she" was. The "she" stuff got on my nerves.

The strap looked too long for the bag. Perhaps they could have belted the long strap to a smaller size to keep it from hanging so low with too much visible "airspace" between the strap and the bag. I thought everyone looked rather awkward carrying the bag, as if they hadn't had any practice with the Roma 3. They looked unsure whether to try to "push in" the outside corners, as Lisa R instructed to "train" our Roma 2s, or pitch it as a great-looking tote bag -- the option that the host took and ran with. The tassel on the lavendar croc had two extra long strands hanging -- someone should have clipped those. That made me question the quality control in general. The tassel on all the bags looked too long and they hung too low below the bag. No one, not even "GILI Jill," could get the short handles of the bag to "behave" to make the bag look "normal" when employing the shoulder strap. One model removed her long strap altogether and put it away in the bag. 

The color selection was fair at best. Having said that, I was on the fence about buying this bag -- maybe in metallic or lavendar -- but the presentation today put me solidly on the side of saving my money. Not even slightly interested now, especially adding the continuing odor problem to all the other issues.

Honored Contributor

Hi MsLomo-thx for the details! I know many think it's ugly, but I'm interested in the camo option. Roma3 is not as compelling as the Roma2. I paid less for the Roma2 than the listed price for Roma3 so that dampens my enthusiasm even more. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Chi-town girl, I agree with you about the price! All GILI is overpriced, I think. I got my Roma 2s "as is," the ivory ostrich and the black, and they look real attractive to me -- a balanced shape. And the price for each was excellent. I think the camo looked good in the presentation today with the neutral colors the model wore. If you wear those colors or even want a stand-out bag to wear with black, I can understand why you'd want the camo. And it's different, too (which is good). 

Super Contributor

I watched and while I like the no frills of this bag (and own a Roma 2), I thought it was very small and I really didn't like that the handles are not long enough to get it over my shoulder comfortably. Living in NYC, I favor bags that have zippers or that I can tuck under my arm in place while on the subway. The Roma 2, while big, I fell secure with. I do not need or want a satchel. Colorwise, I thought the lavendar croco was quite striking but the previous reviews of the chemical smell that won't go away give me pause. I wasn't wowed with the camo but according to Jill there is A LOT of camo coming down the GILI pipeline so if you miss this one, there sounds like a chance to pick up something else. The other colors all have a sort of been there, done that feel to me -- how many iced metallic or white bags with the exact same hardware can one person really have?? It also is pretty pricey for the size, at least in my opinion, but I'm glad to have seen it in a presentation as now I will stop thinking about it. For those that do get it, hope you enjoy!

Super Contributor

PS - I noticed the two longer strands on the lavendar tassel as well. That was really noticeable and did nothing to assure anyone that the quality issues in the GILI line have been addressed. Gave me a laugh though!

Honored Contributor

@nycgirl79 wrote:

I watched and while I like the no frills of this bag (and own a Roma 2), I thought it was very small and I really didn't like that the handles are not long enough to get it over my shoulder comfortably. Living in NYC, I favor bags that have zippers or that I can tuck under my arm in place while on the subway. The Roma 2, while big, I fell secure with. I do not need or want a satchel. Colorwise, I thought the lavendar croco was quite striking but the previous reviews of the chemical smell that won't go away give me pause. I wasn't wowed with the camo but according to Jill there is A LOT of camo coming down the GILI pipeline so if you miss this one, there sounds like a chance to pick up something else. The other colors all have a sort of been there, done that feel to me -- how many iced metallic or white bags with the exact same hardware can one person really have?? It also is pretty pricey for the size, at least in my opinion, but I'm glad to have seen it in a presentation as now I will stop thinking about it. For those that do get it, hope you enjoy!

Hi nycgiril-thx for the details. I do like the camo. It's not that popular with some of the older/conservative gals on the board but it will prob be the 1st or 2nd to sell out. Nice to see some more trendy/chic options at Q. I agree with you about the pricing-all or most of the GILI items have increased, but in some cases prices are still competitive/lower than b&m. It does help with impulse control, lol. 

Respected Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I Roma3 Handbag

[ Edited ]

I was in Marshall's last week and saw that they had the olive green Gili tassels on sale for $9.95 from what seems to be the Roma 3. They were identical to the new Gili tassels. I have the Roma 2 so I'm familiar. Unless another manufacturer is using the same tassels... But I recognized them immediately. 

I think the Roma 3 looks nicer than I thought it would look like. This size is a purse not a tote. I use my Roma 2 to travel as an additional carry on and for school. The Roma 3 seems nice as an everyday purse when you do not need to carry a lot. So many of the reviews kept asking for a smaller Roma so here it is! 

But I'm not buying one because I have enough leather bags in that silhouette. I'm also gravitating towards more of a boho style (fringe) for leather bags and nylon totes to use to carry my jewelry making tools and supplies where I need a much lighter bag. 

~Live with Intention~