Occasional Contributor

Dooney and Bourke storage question

Hello...I ordered the Kiley bag for my daughter.  The price was too good to pass up!  This is for a Christmas gift, and its only April. Any suggestions on how to store this? Can I just leave it in the plastic bag and tissue wrappings? Should I put it in the cloth storage pouch (although I want the gift to look/smell brand spankin' new). Can I just put it in a gift box? Any suggestions will be appreciated!  Thank you!

Valued Contributor

Re: Dooney and Bourke storage question

Don't leave it in the plastic wrapping - it might start to smell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ordering this early for next Christmas, I'd personally unwrap the bag and inspect it for quality. If there's a problem with it you need to return it within the established timeframe and while I know QVC has extended their return window, I doubt they'd accept the return of a bag ordered this April in December... Once opened and it passes muster, depending on the color of the bag, I'd not store it in the blue dust cover, but would wrap the bag in tissue, as with most gifts, and put it in a gift box with the dust bag inside the bag itself. The gift box can be wrapped whenever you choose.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I agree you should take it out of the plastic and also check it to make sure it's in good shape before you put it away for Christmas.  I would keep it in the storage bag and just hide it where ever you put your gifts for storage.

Honored Contributor

The reason I suggested forgoing storing the bag in the usual Dooney navy dust cover is that some have indicated color transfer onto lighter color bags. I can't speak to whether or not this is an issue, as I've not experienced it but better to be safe than sorry.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I always store my bags filled with a soft towel to make sure the corners are stuffed and the bottom stays level.  I always store my bags in individual pillow cases made of cotton/poly or cotton, (if they no longer have their original dust bag) as long as it's fabric and it can breathe.  I'd take the plastic off the bag and keep it until you're ready to give it as a gift because any moisture in the air that gets trapped in there can produce some mildew or mold.

It really doesn't take much to do this and it really makes the purse look and smell good.... (I LOVE my purse collection and have moved twice in the last ten years, once recently having all my bags in storage for close to two years!!!  They were all in great shape when I finally got to put them in their forever home.... that's right, this gal is neva going to move again!!)   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*