Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke...really?

I have 3 that I have purchased over the years and I still use them as well as many other brands of bags. But I am tired of seeing them constantly being presented on QVC.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Super Contributor

I haven't been happy with the look of Dooney in a while. I'm not a fan of the red/ green suede lining or for that matter the newer red coated cotton lining. I like the pink lining because its more durable and I'm not a fan of the key keeper they seem cheap compared to the leather they used to do. I'm a huge fan of the older styles. But different strokes for different folks.
Honored Contributor

I prefer less expensive purses with more pizazz....(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Occasional Contributor

I agree with stevieb and tissyanne... I also agree with CoG when she wrote:

If they can charge $600.00 for a no name Supposedly haute couture brand of their own design surely selling a fine D&B at one third the asking price is to be commended.

Honored Contributor

@shiloh 81 wrote:
I haven't been happy with the look of Dooney in a while. I'm not a fan of the red/ green suede lining or for that matter the newer red coated cotton lining. I like the pink lining because its more durable and I'm not a fan of the key keeper they seem cheap compared to the leather they used to do. I'm a huge fan of the older styles. But different strokes for different folks.

Indeed... That pink/white, what Sue calls 'gingham', lining was a deal breaker for me... I couldn't stand it, but did love the same lining they also used for a time in  tan/white and black/whte. They were sturdy and durable. I thought the TSV was pretty to look at in emerald, but had absolutely no desire ot own it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I hear what you are saying about durability but I really don't care if my bag lasts for 30 years, I guess I am fickle about bags! Styles change.

I also like the Maxx of New York bags that were phased out, I guess they were too reasonably prices, not enough mark up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I'm pretty much 'over' Dooney...  Given the level of saturation on QVC, how could a formerly somewhat regular viewer not be...? For the most part, the only Dooney bags I'm really liking these days are their higher end bags and if I want to spend four or five hundred dollars or more for a bag, it's probably not going to be for Dooney and Bourke.

OMGosh!  ITA!  I don't watch much but I check the "recently on the air" items pretty regularly.  I guess it was the day the TSV was a Dooney it was like it was like it was Dooney all day!

Agree re: saturation.  Not special anymore. 

I WISH QVC would have some Brighton shows.  There's more than just bags from that brand.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

So these bags are up to $350 and $380 for a bag that looks  like one my third grade had many years ago. I am sorry but these are just old fashioned looking with once in a while a 'stylish" one. These prices are outrageous. Actually most of the handbags prices on QVC are very high except for Tiganello.

Different stroke for everybody I guess.  I feel that Tig bags are way overpriced for the not so good quality they give you.  Give me a dooney any day of the week.  Those bags will last forever. 

I agree with you on the Tigs, @BlingQueen022, unless I find them at discount, I don't buy them. Some of them prove to be all right bags, but not for the full retail prices.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Regarding Tignanello....

Tig advertises that they sell leather handbags with the trim being vinyl (or another man made material).  That used to mean the handles, handle anchors and some interior trim. NOW however, it means that you really have to look for the leather.  The bottom of most of them are vinyl, as is the handles, handle anchors and interior trim.  But also the sides of the bags, often the top borders of the bag.... even a flap pocket on the front of the bag as well as any tassel or fob.  That leaves very little leather on a bag that is often $100 or more.  I was looking at one recently and there is a decided difference in the texture of the real leather and the faux when looking at the different segments of the bag.

Just saying that yes D & B's are expensive as is every leather handbag out there.... but so are other brands that claim to be "leather" but only have enough leather on them to be able to legally say so.....  Woman Sad

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

What I don't care for on many Dooneys are the skinny straps, lack of an outside pocket (they dont have to be those huge add on pockets but a nice slip pocket works well), weight and the fact that many tend to be on the stiff side. Pirces have gotten way too haigh!  There are other brands I prefer when spending over 4 hundred.