Honored Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:
I woke up 5 am and rethought my decision. I cancelled because of the price and the fact that it is Beacon leather with the possibility of dents. We are also facing another storm and just didn't want to deal with shipment hassles. This is still a pretty bag.just not for me at this time. There is now a similar tote o. Dooney..com and it's not the HSN tote.

@JavaQueen   Sorry to correct you, but the name of the bag is Beacon, it’s the Vachetta leather.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I ordered the black bag...arrived yesterday, returned yesterday. IMO, the zipper is short to get my hand in w/ all my stuff and it’s definitely a medium sized bag...more so because the leather doesn’t have any “give”.

@Shanus  Too bad, but I wondered about that. While a too small opening isn't limited to Dooney, they seem to make a habit of it. I want to be able to easily see what's in my bag and then be able to get what I want in and out with relative ease. I don't want to have to fight to do so nor do I want to scrape my hands on the zipper. 

@Shanus, I was going back and forth between the black and the brown and ordered the brown, but am on WL.  Kinda concerned about WL 'cause don't want somone's return for that price!  Could you tell me how the black looked with the 'straw'? (Might cancel WL and get black!)  And, you and @stevieb mentioned the openings on Dooneys run small, about how long usually - I have very small hands so not sure it it'd be a problem.  Thanx!

@eddyandme   If it were a softer leather, perhaps the opening would be easier...but it’s restricted by the stiffness of the leather. That’s also the reason more of my things like just a wallet, makeup case left little room for much else. Small hands or not, for me, the entire bag is way more structured than I expected. I have a lot of Dooney bags & many in this leather, but they are a hobo style which allowed for better entry. The black bag was pretty, but I think the “straw” portion limits the number of months it can be worn...black or not, it still looks like a late spring/summer bag to be put away in Sept. That, along with the other issues, made it a no sale.

Thanx, @Shanus .  The issues you raised make sense.  Glad I got it waitlisted and can cancel!  

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme   Sorry if I talked you out of your Dooney. It cost me $25 for my mistake...glad I could save you the $, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@eddyandme   Sorry if I talked you out of your Dooney. It cost me $25 for my mistake...glad I could save you the $, though.

No, @Shanus , I was grateful.  You not only saved me the hasstle of repacking/mailing it back, but all the shipping costs.  I didn't realize it totalled that much!  Twenty-five dollars both ways is ridiculous!

Thank you so much!

Just got in from shoveling - 18" heavy snow!  Just shoveled the steps and sidewalk.  Felt kinda bad, but Eddy had to make a pitstop.  I feed the turkeys in this bad weather and after seeing them all (dozen) trek up here had to feed them early (6:30). Then they just rested under the everygreen shrub and the roof overhang.  Poor things all flew off into the trees when we went out as they're afraid of Eddy, who just wanted to do his thing and get in!  So, threw out few more cheerios and I'm in for the day until the plowman comes:  made him a big lunch for all his hard work!  The furbabies and featherbabies will need the money I would have spent on the D&B, so I will donate.  So, @Shanus , you did a very good thing for me and all our furry/feathery friends!

Have a nice day!

Respected Contributor

It's often not easy to clearly identify the characteristics of a particular handbag and what makes it part of one named collection vs. another.   Dooney is not alone in creating mysteries.

Sometimes the name of the collection has to do with styling,  sometimes with the type or characteristics or treatment of the  leather, sometimes with where the handbag is designed or manufactured.   And sometimes the lines are blurred.

Let's take the Beacon collection.....  it appears that the handbags are made of vachetta leather and the styles are structured.  The handles are often attached thru slits in the leather rather than on rings.  The styles are sleek with a minimum of extra ornamentation (belting, tassels, metal hardware, etc).   And the handles appear to all have the seams facing out,  rather than in.

With the TSV Dooney added the embossed leather to the matte vachetta leather.  The embossed leather may or may not be vachetta leather (I don't know) and it may be coated (again,  they didn't say). From my reasearh Vachetta leather refers to both the processing of the leather and the grade).   But the styling and solid leather aspects of the bag are consistent with the Beacon collection.  The TSV also has the same blue/white fabric lining as the other styles in the Beacon collection.

The Emerson collection also features structured style handbags.   The leather of the Emerson collection appears to be very similar to (if not the same as) the Beacon leather.  The styling details between the collections differ.... the Emerson often has an exterior pocket with a large D matte goldtone clasp,  the handles are attached with goldtone hardware, and the seaming on the handles faces inward,  as is typical on Dooney handles.  The Emerson collection did not have any fabric lining.... some parts are leather lined,  some are the raw back side of the exterior leather.

Whether the styling or structure or leather of a particular collection appeals is a personal choice.  I love the matte vachetta leather and the structured styling.  The length of the top zipper on the domed satchels is not an issue for me.  I even put up with the lack of the full lining on the Emerson line because I love the leather and other styling elements.   BUT.... the Beacon line with the seaming of the handles facing out...  that bothers me  from a styling standpoint.    Oh well,   I guess we all need some things

to help us restrain our handbag buying.... otherwise we might just buy every beautiful new handbag that came along.  Smiley Happy

As to the zipper length.... a structured handbag with a zipper acoss the top (whether it's a domed, straight, or even curved opening)  will be harder to get into than a less structured or softer leather handbag of the same size and style....even if the zipper goes across the entire top of the handbag.  And it almost doesn't matter how long the top of the handbag measures.   If this is an issue,  then we can look for handbags like the zip zip satchels or some others where the zipper extends beyond the top of the bag,  or choose softer leathers or slouchier styles,  or styles with other types of closures.   Some bags have extended zippers.... which I personally dislike.  But that's ok,  there is a style/combination out there that will work for each of us.   We have lots of choices.

There is a difference between a styling choice by a manufacturer and our personal preferences.   Sometimes they line up,  and sometimes they don't.   Quality issues are another matter entirely.   

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I've never had a Dooney and Bourke bag.  I just ordered the TSV in the chestnut color.

@Bird mama 

That one was my favorite.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

No, @Shanus , I was grateful.  You not only saved me the hasstle of repacking/mailing it back, but all the shipping costs.  I didn't realize it totalled that much!  Twenty-five dollars both ways is ridiculous!

Thank you so much!

Just got in from shoveling - 18" heavy snow!  Just shoveled the steps and sidewalk.  Felt kinda bad, but Eddy had to make a pitstop.  I feed the turkeys in this bad weather and after seeing them all (dozen) trek up here had to feed them early (6:30). Then they just rested under the everygreen shrub and the roof overhang.  Poor things all flew off into the trees when we went out as they're afraid of Eddy, who just wanted to do his thing and get in!  So, threw out few more cheerios and I'm in for the day until the plowman comes:  made him a big lunch for all his hard work!  The furbabies and featherbabies will need the money I would have spent on the D&B, so I will donate.  So, @Shanus , you did a very good thing for me and all our furry/feathery friends!

Have a nice day!

@eddyandme  Any thing to help animals...and you, of course.

Respected Contributor

Received my bone Dooney TSV. I love it. It will be the perfect bag for spring and summer. Just an absolute beauty and the lining is so delightful. 

Honored Contributor

I received my Chestnut TSV bag.  It's a beaut Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Contributor

Received my coral Tsv today! When UPS came I received two identical boxes from QVC. Unbeknownst to me, my husband saw me watching the product description of the bag and snuck off to order it for me. Soooo, I will be returning mine all still wrapped up. Luckily I didn’t tell him that I had ordered it for myself. 😉

the bag is beautiful and I’m very happy with the coral choice. I also ordered the matching wallet.