Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney Is...............

@QuinnPenny wrote:

I happen to disagree with you all, I have several Dooney bags and they all look fabulous and new after many,  many years of hard use.  If I purchased cheep bags, I would have paid the same amount as my Dooney’s, because I would have had to buy twice as many bags and the Dooney’s look so much more gorgeous and classy than those cheep hideous ugly bags.  Sorry but I hope the truth doesn’t hurt too much.

@QuinnPenny Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I couldn’t have said it better myself.  I’m so sick of reading about high prices for Dooney bags every time they’re shown on qvc.  If you can’t afford them don’t buy them.  It’s that simple.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I've never been a fan of what I consider overpriced D&B purses anyway. But I saw a cute hydrangea print one I really liked and looked closer - it was $178 on CLEARANCE and it was VINYL. What!?! Originally it was $228. People really would pay that for a vinyl purse? SMH. Paying for a name - not value for the money.

If the hydrangea bag you saw was Dooney, it was most likely coated canvas, not vinyl.

Honored Contributor

@QuinnPenny wrote:

I happen to disagree with you all, I have several Dooney bags and they all look fabulous and new after many,  many years of hard use.  If I purchased cheep bags, I would have paid the same amount as my Dooney’s, because I would have had to buy twice as many bags and the Dooney’s look so much more gorgeous and classy than those cheep hideous ugly bags.  Sorry but I hope the truth doesn’t hurt too much.

Some 'truth' is relative... but no, your version of it nor your disgust for cheap bags doesn't hurt too much... In fact, it doesn't impact my opinion one way or the other... Each to their own... Dooney is a good brand, but for me, it's no longer all that and a pack of crackers...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I fell in love with Dooney when I came across one on Nordstrom's counter (taken out for someone to look at) when my kids were babies.  It was half off it's normal price of $350!! I sat in the mall for a long time trying to figure out how to buy that bag!!  I coudn't pull the trigger even at half price, we had no money at the time.  This had to have been between 1980 and 1985 and that bag was $350 originally!!  Unless on sale they were very expensive even back then!  And on sale it was still $175.....  the prices have (more or less) remained the same as they were back then.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

I fell in love with Dooney when I came across one on Nordstrom's counter (taken out for someone to look at) when my kids were babies.  It was half off it's normal price of $350!! I sat in the mall for a long time trying to figure out how to buy that bag!!  I coudn't pull the trigger even at half price, we had no money at the time.  This had to have been between 1980 and 1985 and that bag was $350 originally!!  Unless on sale they were very expensive even back then!  And on sale it was still $175.....  the prices have (more or less) remained the same as they were back then.... 

SO, what did you do? Did you figure out a way to get it? When did you finally got your first D&B and what one did you get?   Someone can perhaps educate me. The earlier D&Bs -- weren't they mostly logo bags made of coated canvas? I would never (and didn't ever) buy one of those at the prices they were commanding. But, I totally LOVE the leather bags that I see everywhere now. I seem to have seen some older leather ones, but I mostly saw the DB logo everywhere back in the 90s.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

They're nice bags but in general, over-priced, over-weight and over-exposed... Another brand QVC has run into the ground...

@stevieb  The over-exposed part can’t be blamed on QVC alone. D&B is in all my major dept. stores. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

They're nice bags but in general, over-priced, over-weight and over-exposed... Another brand QVC has run into the ground...

@stevieb  The over-exposed part can’t be blamed on QVC alone. D&B is in all my major dept. stores. 

While that's true @Shanus, there is a big difference... And I was speaking primarily about QVC... Let's face it, other than for necessities, shopping is always elective, but in my opinion, since going to their narrow branding approach to sales, QVC has run their preferred brands into the ground, allocating so much air time as to have essentially diluted those brands, and leading to the point where interest in them, for some of us, is limited...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

SO, what did you do? Did you figure out a way to get it? When did you finally got your first D&B and what one did you get?   Someone can perhaps educate me. The earlier D&Bs -- weren't they mostly logo bags made of coated canvas? I would never (and didn't ever) buy one of those at the prices they were commanding. But, I totally LOVE the leather bags that I see everywhere now. I seem to have seen some older leather ones, but I mostly saw the DB logo everywhere back in the 90s.

No, the earliest Dooney bags were almost all All Weather Leather... Compared to say Coach, Dooney has never done an overabundance of fabric logo bags, though they certainly have done their share...

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

While that's true @Shanus, there is a big difference... And I was speaking primarily about QVC... Let's face it, other than for necessities, shopping is always elective, but in my opinion, since going to their narrow branding approach to sales, QVC has run their preferred brands into the ground, allocating so much air time as to have essentially diluted those brands, and leading to the point where interest in them, for some of us, is limited...

@stevieb  I have noticed a rare appearance of Tig bags, GILI bags, which are way too big for me & not worth the $ IMO and sale/clearance prices on Oryany. Isaac stopped showing his Bridgehampton bags (guess not selling well). The other day, I saw a new line of American bags (?) w/ tooled leather. You’re probably right that they don’t stand a chance, but if they don’t give us a choice, we can’t purchase bags when we don’t want or have enough D&B.

Frequent Contributor

I will never have enough D&B.