Honored Contributor

Do they make the Dooney bags on the Q cheaper than the ones in the stores?

I watched the midnight presentation of the TSV and I noticed that the handle was detachable and all that was holding it was a sort of a screw through a slit in the handle. It seemed very cheap to me for a bag that expensive I'd at least expect that slit in the handle to be sewed or have a grommet or something. Are they all made this way? doesn't that seem cheap to you?

Re: Do they make the Dooney bags on the Q cheaper than the ones in the stores?

I have an old Dooney from back in the mis 80s. I also have a new one that was a gift that came from QVC as well as one I purchased myself direct from Dooney and Bourke. Neither of the newer ones come close to the quality of the old Dooney. It has solid brass hardware and is made of very thick soft leather. It seems that all the so called nicer bags are not what they once were. Aigner is another one that comes to mind.

New Contributor

Yes I think the tsv dooney bags are made of slightly less quality. But the dooney bags you find in regular stores and and on qvc are the same .
Honored Contributor

I do believe this to be true. My daughter bought me a D&B bag I liked from QVC, then later gave me 2 of her D&B bags when she switched to Brahmin. The quality of her bags is much higher than the bag she ordered for me.
Honored Contributor

I have checked prices on D&B's website and I do not see any difference.  In fact, I feel that D&B bags are over priced especially for the smaller bags.  I know that D&B bags can last a very long time or at least they did years ago but no sure how they are now.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Dooney makes a range of products to fit into various market segments.  Some of the lines are very high quality,  like Alto and Florentine.  Some of these bags are sold on QVC and some are not.  The ones sold on QVC are the same quality as sold elsewhere.  But not all Dooney lines use the same leathers or finishing treatments.  They make different lines to fit into different price points.

Dooney,  like many manufacturers sometimes makes styles exclusive to a particular store/customer, like QVC or Dillards, etc.  In those cases,  they will tailor the style, materials, details, etc. to what that customer wants.   So,  if Dooney makes an exclusive for a store,  it may not be the same quality as a similar bag sold elsewhere... or it may be exactly the same quality.  It may have extra pockets or zippers, or it may have a different leather.

As for the straps that are adjusted with a brass button thru a button hole slit in the strap... Dooney has been using this technique on many of their bags for decades.

I prefer a buckle,  but the brass button seems to be a style thing popular with Peter Dooney.

Honored Contributor

The TSV's appears to most defintely be made for QVC, as an exclusive, and some of them appear to be of a more modest grade than other bags sold elswhere.  They often make a big deal ouf of the "free" matching accessories and yet, in some instances, those too are not of a style or grade that Dooney would sell elsewhere.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Only 1 or 2 colors of the last TSV were exclusive to QVC.  The other colors will be available in retail this summer.  The accessories might have be exclusive to Q,  but not the handbag.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I think a lot of things made exclusively for the Q are made of cheaper quality (Clarks comes to mind). I'm really careful when they say only the Q has this or we made this just for the Q.
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Been tO the D&B outlet in Reading, PA and they have the same bags as the Q