Occasional Contributor

Do i really need leather condtioner for my dooney?

I have the pebble leather brenna and i read the care instructions and it did not say anything about a conditioner but i saw someone post on a "as is" for the brenna handbag and she mentioned "eqestrian leather conditioner" that she puts on her brennas. i googled it and many conditioners come up but am not sure which one would work the best. can anyone tell me if they have tried this or know what is one that would work and not mess up the handbag?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do i really need leather condtioner for my dooney?

No, no and no.  Do NOT put any conditioner on Doooney pebbled leather..

I have bags that are over 20 years old and  they are still in great shape.  Sometimes the leather trimming the bags could,use some conditioner as this leather has been treated differently and will eventually fade and crack.  

I have even put a little shoe polish on the trim of some old bags, but never on the pebbled leather.  Pebbled leather is always naturally waterproof.

Trusted Contributor

@ellitha some people will condition the bags no matter what type of leather but the pebble doesn't really need it IMO however I did apply conditioner to the trim I think She has mentioned you can clean pebble leather with a damp cloth but don't quote me on that lol don't really recall in any case you don't have to condition the bag.

Valued Contributor

No don't put anything on the pebbled leather.  Dooney says not to put anything on it too.  I have many pebbled leather Dooneys, and they look new and they are more than ten years old. 

Occasional Contributor

oh ok! could you give me some name brands of conditioners that would be safe to use on the leather trim and handles? can the leather trim get wet and not leave water spots?