Esteemed Contributor

Disappointed in Aimee Kestenberg handbag--- And Customer Service!!

Last year I purchased the Genny Hobo in the  lavender snake color.I love the bag & started carrying it last spring & summer.The bag has a white background & after gentle use it became soiled.I emailed AK company & asked how to clean it.They emailed me back & told me that the leather was pre treated & I should clean it with a soft cloth & warm water.I did & it didn't work.I emailed the company again & they failed to respond so I called their customer service dept.

A.K. customer service told me that they don't carry the line they sell on QVC.That those bags are exclusive to the Q. Therefore, they cannot exchange the bag for me.If they carried the bag they gladly would have.They suggested I bring the bag to a leather cleaner.Well I did that & the guy told me that it would cost $55 with no guarantee that it would work.

I spent close to $300 for that bag & wasn't going to spend another $55 for a maybe!!

I called QVC customer service & the representative said that there was nothing she could do.I left a message for a supervisor to call me. I just got off the phone with a supervisor who very politely told me that there was nothing they could do for me.

I spent close to $300 for a fine leather handbag that only lasted one season!! I have lots of light colored leather bags going back years that are still in excellent condition that did not cost this much!! I never had a problem cleaning them!!

I'm very disappointed in A.K.'s  customer service as well as QVC's.Someone should do something for me .I will never buy an expensive light colored bag again!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Disappointed in Aimee Kestenberg handbag--- And Customer Service!!

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Last year I purchased the Genny Hobo in the  lavender snake color.I love the bag & started carrying it last spring & summer.The bag has a white background & after gentle use it became soiled.I emailed AK company & asked how to clean it.They emailed me back & told me that the leather was pre treated & I should clean it with a soft cloth & warm water.I did & it didn't work.I emailed the company again & they failed to respond so I called their customer service dept.

A.K. customer service told me that they don't carry the line they sell on QVC.That those bags are exclusive to the Q. Therefore, they cannot exchange the bag for me.If they carried the bag they gladly would have.They suggested I bring the bag to a leather cleaner.Well I did that & the guy told me that it would cost $55 with no guarantee that it would work.

I spent close to $300 for that bag & wasn't going to spend another $55 for a maybe!!

I called QVC customer service & the representative said that there was nothing she could do.I left a message for a supervisor to call me. I just got off the phone with a supervisor who very politely told me that there was nothing they could do for me.

I spent close to $300 for a fine leather handbag that only lasted one season!! I have lots of light colored leather bags going back years that are still in excellent condition that did not cost this much!! I never had a problem cleaning them!!

I'm very disappointed in A.K.'s  customer service as well as QVC's.Someone should do something for me .I will never buy an expensive light colored bag again!!

Have you been carrying that bag all this time?

Honored Contributor

What has stained the leather?I wonder if you can search online to see cleaning methods for that type of leather.I didn't know that bags sold at q were specially made for them...at a lesser quality?I wonder how much her bags go for in other stores,as it might be better to pay a little more for possibly better materials

Esteemed Contributor

@dex @makena. I only carried the bag last spring & summer .The day after Labor Day I switched to the Dooney Brenna Satchel.

The bag didn't get stained.Just dirty from normal gentle use.I didn't know they were made for QVC either!! Makes me wonder about the lesser quality too.

Respected Contributor

So sorry this happened. Many bags are specially made for QVC. They just don't point it out. i had a Bruce Makowsky bag that didn't last long: it was a Q special. It might have been a TSV.

Vendors will produce special items so that they don't cannibalize what they offer to everyone else. It's quite common. The Q isn't the only retailer to do this. Macy's, Nordies, etc.

With Dooeny, it's a little different. Many of their bags sell in retail stores, etc. The TSVs are specailly made for the Q.

In regards the cleaning, white and light-colored handbags are magnets for dirt, etc. Like white shirts.

I would got the purse fourm/purse blog and see if people have successfully cleaned bags on their own.

Don't laugh, but also try Youtube for leather cleaning tips.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ That is too bad that no one has a cleaning solution for you.I think there are videos online that show how to clean but if you ruin the leather it would be upsetting.I would call the company back and ask to speak to a supervisor and challenge them to come up with a cleaning solution.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I understood correctly, this a Q problem, because it is a Q product.

Go to Customer Care  on this forum and do exactly what you did here. Explain everything. They might help you. i had a problem and they resoldved for me.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps the moral of this story is to not buy light colored bags unless they're a scrubbable leather or coated material. I do think it's unrealistic to expect QVC to give you credit for a light-colored bag you used for several months and got dirty. I would expect it to pick up dirt if it was used.   I have a pale blush Coach bag I use less than once a week very carefully and it gets dirty.   Why don't you try a little soap with that warm water,  maybe some shampoo, as it's gentle? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ

Light colored bags can easily stain from denim jeans. You don't realize it but when you are carrying a handbag next to you it can rub up against your pants or your other clothing and color transfer to it. As well those snake printed leathers are screen printed onto light colored leather and they are not drum dyed leather either. The leather is given a sueded finish too so they are not hard wearing leather. I really don't know what could remove the staining if anything.

Contributor

I am sure if you emailt this story to CS at Aimee K they will resolve. I have run into issues in the past and they always resolve! They are actually the BEST with customer service that I've ever experienced.