Honored Contributor

No way.  Well, maybe if I had some type of physical challenge, like I used a cane or crutches.  Otherwise, backpacks come across like a kid going to school to me.  The really small ones look a bit silly.  When I want to free up my hands a cross body works perfectly fine for me.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Backpack purses

[ Edited ]

I wear them and don't find them a "pickpocket's dream" with the right features. For some people, they are better because they balance the weight better. I think they are better in urban areas.  Obviously, they work because people buy them. 

Again, what is key is if they have a hidden pocket somewhere. I recommend the Rebecca Minkoff, the AK Tamitha and the Radley Fountain Road backpack. I think some of the Vince Camuto bags have them and CK and Fossil.

Dooney and Bourke do not have them.  LV does not have that. YSL does not have that. I live in an urban environment and many women have them. Most of the really cheap women's handbag purses lack these features.

I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. I think there is a place of each type of bag.

Even a crossbody can be a pickpocket's dream. Nothing is totally theft proof.

Valued Contributor

I love mini backpacks, but wear them crossbody.  I'm only 5'1" tall and don't like shoulder bags or big heavy bags.  I mainly carry the Louis Vuitton Palm Springs Mini, but also have a few of the MCM leather x-mini backpacks.  Both have the thin detachable straps that I can adjust to just the right length. 

Respected Contributor

Those are really nice and at 5'1, they are nicely proporitoned.

There's certainly nothing "schoolbag-ish" about them. Many of these bags are not really school bags. There's nothing immature about them. 

There are many older women on this forum and all I can say that is a style that must be chosen with care. We're not all the same height, weight, age. If you're in your fifiies, you wouldn't wear a teensy pink backpack with studs. I mean, most couldn't pull it off. I happened to see the Dooney and Bourke Selleria backpack and I must admit that it's quite elegant. Love it, but where's my hidden pocket?  Radley London has their take on that bag and I believe there is a concealed pocket somewhere. The D&G pod backpacks have a very nice strap arrangement and zippers can move to side so you have less of Picpocket's Pardise going on  (It's gusseted so it would take some work for them to put their hand in. I would not wear it with the zippers on the top like a Trixie bag.)

The point is that many styles will not make you look like a school girl. And there are enough style choices out there that you could pass the backpack style without regret. Right now I have three smaller ones and one larger that is a great travel bag. That's enough!

Valued Contributor

@JavaQueen Thank you, your comments are right on. I have two backpacks one from Ak and mini from  Marc Jacobs.Both have secure areas Great, when shopping,running running errands, etc..Before I retired this year, I carried my backpack to work.,my  No matter what handbag that you choose to carry, you should  always be aware of their surroundings. 

Not everyone likes the same thing, for instance I do not like structure handbags. Handbags no matter the style should be well made,my only pet peeve is I like only leather handbags

When I take my 2 to 3 mile walks,I wear a Coach fanny back(with a cute bunny rabbit on front) which holds my mini wallet, cellphone,keys. Some may say that's old fashion or childish to wear,to each his own.

I used to carry large hobo bags, not anymore I don't need to carry everything. For dinners,movies,or concert's. I also carry a medium shoulder bag.

My latest find is a MJ Boho grind soft leather shoulder bag 13 inches in length and  8.5 high with a adjustable shoulder strap.

In other words I love handbags and dolls, since I was a child, nothing has changed except my age☺☺☺☺☺

Respected Contributor

When the current trend of backpacks as purses came about, I considered taking mine out of storage but I haven't done so yet. It's a lovely pebble leather triangular-shaped smallish bag that I bought in a leather shop in Canada many years ago. It's extremely secure because it only has one opening that closes with a zipper, which runs vertically, from the top to the bottom of the bag and which is located on the inside, that is, the part that rests against my back. So there are no pockets on the outward-facing side at all. The bag would have to be removed from my back in order to get into it. I guess one of the reasons I haven't used it lately is because although my phone would fit in the bag, it wouldn't be easily accessible. This wasn't a consideration when I bought the bag! 😄

Valued Contributor

I have this one.  I use it daily.

Related image

It converts to a shoulder bag like this.

Related image

These are very popular with the locals, here by the Tetons. 

Pickpockets aren't a problem in my area.

Technically this is a diaper bag. 

I have two grandsons, aged one and three, and I seem them and their mother (my daughter) almost daily.  The lining is removable, which is good for me, because I never know what one of my grandsons may ask me to carry.  I've also had snacks that I'm carrying for my boys explode inside my bag.

The backpacks are the only purses that allow me to bend over easily and pick up my boys.  

I carried a crossbody but the bag would hang forward when I bent over.  It either hit the kid I was picking up, or I would have to sling it behind me, and hurry to pick up the child before the bag slid back around.  It was a nuisance.

I have many other purses to carry when I travel or for more formal occasions.

This one suits my casual, outdoor lifestyle.   

Super Contributor
I have 2 small leather backpack purses. Neither converts to crossbody but I wish they did! One is a Coach bag with a turnkey type of lock on the outside and no zipper. The other has a zip all around the top. Often I sling the bag over one shoulder and that makes it easy to get on and off for getting in the car or taking out my wallet when shopping. Would I wear one of these on my back for travel, walking in unfamiliar places or on public transportation? No. But they are convenient for car trips that might involve a quick walk (not a hike) in a park or when shopping somewhere when I want to be "hands-free". I seem to have plenty of use for both of them. Cross body would be super convenient but that combo style just wasn't popular when I bought these. My suggestion for you is to try the bag out over your heavy winter coat if you are going to wear it during the winter months. I've found that getting the bag onto my back over my heavy parka just doesn't work! Have fun shopping!
Honored Contributor

No backpacks for me and no crossbodies... Each to their own, but I like an actual bag, preferably a satchel...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

I have the old agility pebble leather, still looks brand new.  I wear it in warm weather and love it’s ease.