Esteemed Contributor

does anyone mulch their vegetable plants?

I'm not looking forward to a summer of watering and weed pulling and am thinking of mulching the few veggie plants I've put out.

Have any of you done this?  Are there reasons why I shouldn't?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: does anyone mulch their vegetable plants?

No, I don't.

Harbors insects & disease.

For years now I prep the soil, lay out weed barrier and pin it in place with soil staples, and plant with just that over the garden soil. Be sure to put it right side up, or water will just run off instead off seeping through the barrier into the soil.

That stuff is marvelous!!  I have weed barrier in the bottoms of all my flowerboxes and planters to keep soil from washing out of the pot.

Honored Contributor

I go away for days and even weeks at a time, so I am not at home to pull weeds.  My daughter does come to the house to water my plants and harvest veggies so they don't go to waste.I mulch for this reason.

I use layers of newspapers and have even used cardboard.  I do not use the shiny glossy newspaper with the colored pages with ads.  The newspaper is inexpensive, it works and is safe to use around plants used for food and the ink is soy based and not toxic.

i hold it down with a few large stones, but after about a week or so, the stones are not necessary. I use 2-3 sheets and overlap so the weeds do not pop through the seams.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I always do.  The soil is rototilled, then the plants go in, followed by weed block mesh.  The mulch is placed on top.  We do get a few weeds here and there, easy enough to pull.  Mulch protects the roots and the veggies are plentiful.

Happy gardening!!

Esteemed Contributor

I only use rubber mulch. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge  I use paper coffee filters in my pots to prevent soil from leeching out.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I go away for days and even weeks at a time, so I am not at home to pull weeds.  My daughter does come to the house to water my plants and harvest veggies so they don't go to waste.I mulch for this reason.

I use layers of newspapers and have even used cardboard.  I do not use the shiny glossy newspaper with the colored pages with ads.  The newspaper is inexpensive, it works and is safe to use around plants used for food and the ink is soy based and not toxic.

i hold it down with a few large stones, but after about a week or so, the stones are not necessary. I use 2-3 sheets and overlap so the weeds do not pop through the seams.

@Carmie  Your post reminded me that I’ve used newspaper in the past. Thanks!!

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

We have a small raised garden. Since it dries out fast, we have found using mulch really helps maintain moisture. It also greatly reduces the weeds. We haven't had any problems with the mulch causing any diseases or plant issues. 

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda  We used weed block around our tomatoes for years. Then, a few years ago, we had some extra straw and used that. I really like it. At the end of the year, the straw can just get tilled into the ground. The downside is there are weed seeds that come along with the straw. 

Honored Contributor

No, I till and hoe but I'm tempted to try newspapers. They go in the recycling dumpster anyway.