Esteemed Contributor

Bad photo, I know, but although I see these trees all over, there are none in a place where I could get a better shot.

Honestly, I don't recall them in previous years and wonder if I'm (1) crazy or (2) if the weather this year is just particularly suited to them this year. All of the other flowering trees are long gone, but these are still in these unusual blooms. 

Does anyone one know what this is? Chicagoland area.  It's driving me nuts!! Thank you!!

IMG_4033.JPG

Respected Contributor

Re: What kind of tree is this?

[ Edited ]

We have trees that look to be like those in the photo.  They were planted in our cul-de-sac as street trees by the city, and they are called Japanese Lilacs, and are about to bloom, very pretty.  The blooms turn brownish though very quickly.

ETA:  We live just west of Milwaukee, WI.

Trusted Contributor

Helpful to have a good closeup of a leaf. Many flowering trees/bushes are easily identified by their leaves more than just looking at the outline or shape of the whole growth. The photo is not bad, just not enough detail. Do the blooms have fragrance?  That would eliminate some species and include others in firgureing this out.

Looking at your photo, based on the shape and the way there are multiple strong woody base "trunks" I believe those may not be not trees, but rather large overgrown bushes. Closeup of blooms and/or leaves would make this much easier.

Sorry, I'm out of your area so it doesn't come to mind right away what it could be.

Honored Contributor

Whatever they are, they need to be trimmed.

They remind me of a crepe myrtle but I doubt you would fine one in Chicago

@Alter Ego

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@author You must be correct!  Just looked at other images online and I'm pretty sure that's what the flowers look like.  I only pass them while driving, but I'm noticing them all over - some newly planted and others large like I posted (these are next to Midway airport so the fence you see is higher than an average fence.) Apparently they are supposed to have a pleasant scent, but I'm never close enough to smell them myself.

Thanks so much for everyone who posted.  It was driving me crazy not knowing.  They are really beautiful this year.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego

They do have a very pleasant scent and when in full bloom the courtyard here is like a fairyland, lovely.

They are hardy in our northern climate.

Honored Contributor

Japanese tree lilac -- look at cultivar 'Ivory Silk'. It's in bloom here on LI, NY too. We have one on our side yard between our driveway and next door neighbor. When a breeze blows, you can smell the flowers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼