Trusted Contributor

Re: What color would you choose?

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin

I'd vote for yellow or white. I have a rose garden off the back porch, and I've tried to place them in a good blend of colors. For example, the one closest to the house is red, the next one is a creamy pink/yellow, followed by a lavender rose, pure white, bright pink, orange, a soft pink, and then another red. Love roses!!!

Respected Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

No matter what color flowers I plant, I always include white flowers.  The white makes every other color pop.

i think all one color is boring.  You need a contrast to set your flowers off, even if the colors are all in the same  family.

I have been doing this for years and recently heard Phillip Watson say he does the same thing.

BD522C3F-753B-4DD1-B015-F18883DDF666.jpeg

Love seeing this combo ....its close to what I'm planning.   I have the pink on one end, the red will go on the opposite end.   Now, I'm really debating on whether the center rose will be white or yellow.   I'll say, yellow, is one color I do not have as of yet...soooo...ill take a lookie at my local nursery.   Just spoke to him, and he'll be ready to sell by 1st week of March .   Thank you for that pretty pic.

Respected Contributor

I took a lot of the suggestions here for colors...i planted annuals this weekend.   So the area near the pink rose, has whites,  soft pinks,(impatiens).   The other end near the red climber,  has a white geranium and a darker color coleous .

Waiting till my local nursery  is ready to sell his roses...I think I narrowed it down to either a yellow rose, or white , for center between the coral dawn, and Don Juan.

Great suggestions ...thank you all!!

Honored Contributor

I would add a peace rose:

https://www.heirloomroses.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/p/e/peace-455.jpg

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   THe deep lavender rose pictured is beautiful and would look beautiful with red and pink.  Coral may even work but I would try to get a picture and place inbetween the two current colors.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Plum Perfect I have in my own rose garden & it’s about now 2.5’ X 2.5’. 

It has a slight fragrance.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Hi everyone....I just came from my local nursery. I bought a Don Juan, and for that center rose, you all sent suggestions, I wound up buying a
SUNSPRITE. I went with that one particularly for larger rose, and the strong fragrance.
The colors I was looking for, they didn't have either, the fragrance or flower type I like.
He does have a Julia Child, so it was a toss up between that and Sunsprite. I prefer the larger flower, so that was my choice.
Esteemed Contributor

I vote for white also. I have 8 roses planted along my fence......the white makes the colors pop...

Honored Contributor

Both Julia Child & Sunsprite are great choices. Julia Child is black spot resistant but by August it may have some disease on the lower cane's leaves.

Sunsprite is a Kordes rose.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

White. While not a color, they're beautiful and would stand out. If it absolutely has to be a color, probably either coral or lavender. Peace roses are also beautiful and showy. The only color rose I don't particularly care for is yellow.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...