Esteemed Contributor

This is a volunteer which we noticed I'd say about five years ago. Very fast grower. For perspective, the fence is six feet tall. I let it go because I was curious, and secondly it provides a good screen to our north. (A bit noisy). It bears no flowers or other goodies. 

Any idea ???? TIA Heart

leaves.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Contributor

Young Southern Magnolia? They don't Flower for a few years. Just a guess.

Respected Contributor

@Susiequeue wrote:

Young Southern Magnolia? They don't Flower for a few years. Just a guess.

I agree, the leaves are very much in that family.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine had the most long lasting flowers this year.  Usually it gets hit with late freeze or big T-storm blows them off.    But.........I just read "M" needs and loves acid soil - so I dumped 2 applications of Miracid all around the base 2 months ago.  No clue if that helped...but it held up very well to nature's tricks.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep I was going to say Magnolia too but then I saw you said it doesn't flower. Though some may take their time with blooms or not the right soil.Other than that, I don't know.It is a nice cover though!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Leaves too small for Magnolia; plus it hasn't bloomed. Sprout from a neighbors tree? Hmmm.

Esteemed Contributor

@tl98466 @on the bay @fthunt @Bhvbum @Susiequeue  Thank you all for your input. There's not another tree around, but perhaps there was one many years ago. We're in the PNW, so probably not a Southern Magnolia ~ but that would have been wonderful. Perhaps a bird dropped a seed and it took. It's an ok tree for a volunteer, so we'll just enjoy the shade and privacy it provides. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Could it be a saucer magnolia? These are deciduous trees. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep 

It may be an English laurel, prunus laurocerasus.

Apparently, they self-seed easily in your area.

But do some further checking before you take my word for it!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.