Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

@cheriere The variety of plants you are encountering is impressive. I truly enjoy seeing them. I think the suggestion of a book is a good one. Make it coffee table size and pocket size. One would be a decor item as well as informative. The other could be a pocket guide for others to know what they are seeing.

That's a wonderful idea!  Thank you for your encouragement.💝

I really can't believe just how much fun I'm having doing this too.  I've never really had a hobby before, but I think this officially now qualifies.😃. I'm still finding a lot of new flowers and plants.  Hopefully, I can improve my writing skills too.

Esteemed Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

We had these growing along side the dirt road when we lived in Maine. We had springs trickle in valleys and these sprouted up. Very pretty seeing color where you don't expect. We had wild strawberries too. Very tiny but lots of flavor.

It is so nice to find color where you least expect to encounter it!😃

Funny you mentioned wild strawberries 🍓 because when I went back to some plants I'd posted about earlier, I found some had sprouted!  I'm hoping to post those later on.

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@cheriere  Beautiful wild irises, Cheriere! I'm going to paint my nails that color this week in honor of your nature discoveries Smiley Very Happy.  

Aww, that's so sweet, thanks.😊💝

You're nails will look beautiful!

@cheriere  Thank you, Cheriere- I'll do a manicure and pedicure in that wild iris color Smiley HappyHeart! Also, I really think that you should publish a book on your nature adventures and knowledge of flowers.  I'm working on illustrating a children's book that I plan to self publish on Amazon this year. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@cheriere  Beautiful wild irises, Cheriere! I'm going to paint my nails that color this week in honor of your nature discoveries Smiley Very Happy.  

@cheriere  Thank you, Cheriere- I'll do a manicure and pedicure in that wild iris color Smiley HappyHeart! Also, I really think that you should publish a book on your nature adventures and knowledge of flowers.  I'm working on illustrating a children's book that I plan to self publish on Amazon this year. Smiley Happy

I might decide to make a book of it.  You all are really making me feel like I might just be able to do it!😃

CONGRATS on your decision to illustrate and self publish!  That's wonderful!  I know you can do it...you're so creative!💝🌸

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

I might decide to make a book of it.  You all are really making me feel like I might just be able to do it!😃

CONGRATS on your decision to illustrate and self publish!  That's wonderful!  I know you can do it...you're so creative!💝🌸

@cheriere  Thank you so much, Cheriere Heart! I want to create little and big creative goals for myself.  You are so creative too- you take great photos of plants, you are gifted in writing and telling stories about each plant and I'd definitely buy your book if you self published it.  Amazon self publishing is the way I'm going to go about it since they print, publish and ship the book once its created.  My goal is to self publish my book on or before New Year's Eve Smiley Happy. You can do it, Cheriere! I believe in you and I enjoy your plant discovery lessons and photos!

Respected Contributor

Just lovely @cheriere ; another stunning picture.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Dwarf Crested Iris (Iris Cristata). 

I'm not a fan of the typical irises.  I dug up a whole bed of them that the previous owners had planted because they stopped blooming.  Apparently, the surrounding trees had grown and shaded them too much.  I gave a lot of them away, and the recipients have told me they bloom nicely for them, so it must've been the lack of sun.  My neighbor has a small patch of them that are really pretty though.

A friend from church gave me one of thee last year.  This is it's first year in my yard.

Crested Iris.jpg

@Icegoddess  If they are too thickly rooted together, they will quit blooming.  They do require sunshine but the fact that there were so many so bound up could have been the reason they had ceased to bloom or the combination thereof.

@Nonametoday I did divide them once, and they still didn't bloom.  Big pain in the rear.  I have plenty of work to do in the yard without dividing a large iris bed every few years.  

@Icegoddess I agree. Yard work is a heavy load.  We raised 400-500 roses at one time and as we aged, we realized it was far too much work for us and our faithful gardener died suddenly and now all you can find are those mow, blow and go guys who only want to spend 30 minutes and pick up a check for way more than they deserve.   

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday I used to have hollies that would grow into the gutters of our 2-story house.  I DID NOT plant them.  Probably the builder did back in the 80's.  Anyways, I hired the guy who did the yard work for the largest house in the neighborhood to trim them.  Then one day he stopped returning my calls.  Apparently, his business had grown enough that he no longer needed to do such a difficult task.  

I couldn't get anyone to even look at them.  

One of the nurseries we frequent was delivering some topsoil one day and the owner mentioned to me that I could cut those things down to knee high and they would be fine.  I had poodled them years ago (exposed the lower trunk and branches), so really didn't want to do that, but I did cut them back severely.  I do think, as I get older, I may have to cut them back knee high at some point though.  It's a bear of a job and electric trimmers just won't hack it, so I have to do it the manual way.  

Valued Contributor
So lovely and delicate looking! Thank you for sharing @cheriere. 🌸💕
Honored Contributor

My camellias have done that.  I knew they would but I planted them anyway and now I get a tree service to cut them back by two-thirds every few years.  My mother had  nursery and grew/sold/hybridized azales, camellias and daylilies and when she died we had to have bush hogs to come in and take down these huge camellias and azaleas.  They were 15-20 ft tall and as wide.  When she got unable to care for them, she could not find anybody who would and my brother and I could not.  Like you say, electric trimmers won't do it.  It sure looked different when we had all that cut down.  Her house looked new, even.