Valued Contributor

Right now I'm using a vinegar type spray on weeds.  It did work on the weeds that are in the sun but a lot are in the shade.  Can anyone suggest something to use that would take care of weeds in the shade.  

Honored Contributor

1 gallon jug of white vinegar

Pour 2 cups vinegar into another container

Add 1/4 cup Epson salts to the jug

Fill the rest of the jug with Dawn blue dishsoap.

Shake to mix.

I really soak the weeds with this and may go through 2 jugs and then make a small batch using the 2-4 cups I took out at the beginning. 

Honored Contributor

I was trying to find an answer to this myself and one thing I read was to use boiling hot water on them.  I didn't find this to be particularly helpful and rather inconvenient and dangerous.  Another so called expert said --- just use your hands --- pull them out by the roots!  Oh, thanks!  This is what I have done for years.  Hard work but they still come back..... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I use Spectracide Foaming Weed and Grass Spray, works well.

Honored Contributor

Most of the commercial weed killers (Round Up, etc ) work very well and are reasonably safe if used properly. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

We put down pre-emergent twice a year. Spring and fall. It stops most of the weeds from rearing their ugly heads. For those that do pop up I use Ortho Weed B Gone or something similiar. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've had good luck with PREEN. You have to weed first and then sprinle/or pour the Preen on the weeded spots. It works for me. The length of time between is variable depending on how much /little rain you get. I usually get 2 months or more.

Valued Contributor

I did a check in the garage and found some Weed Be Gone and also found a bottle of Killzall.  I didn't know how to use the Killzall and luckily did find the paperwork for it.  I'll be using that for weeds where my dog can't get to.  I would rather not use chemicals but I tried the vinegar spray and it did nothing.  It must work because my husband use to use it.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Most of the commercial weed killers (Round Up, etc ) work very well and are reasonably safe if used properly. 

I can't use weed killers since they also can kill my dog and other dogs that are taken for walks in the neighborhood.  

Respected Contributor
What % of vinegar do you use? If it is the 5% stuff you get off the shelf at the grocery store that is not strong enough. I use the 30% vinegar you get at Home Depot. The recipe I use is. 1gallon 30% vinegar. 1cup of salt-Not Epsom salt, regular salt, a few squirts of dish detergent. Stir till salt is dissolved. Pour into a sprayer. I use a plastic hand pump sprayer with the small hose and spray wand. Spray the weeds and make sure you get where they are sprouting from. Works great!