Valued Contributor

Two Questions: 1) How do I keep my basil plants from getting 'leggy'? 2) Veggies for pots on sunny deck? To plant now?

Hi Plant Experts,

So many here have helped me in the past. I love planting basil each year, but I find that my plants get leggy and tall, rather than stay smaller and bushy. When they get leggy it seems that the leaves don't get as big. I do pinch off any small flowers I see and frequently pinch off top leaves. Anything else I should be doing?

Anything (besides tomatoes) that I can grow successfully on my sunny deck in pots? I know I could ask the large garden center or look it up, I know. But I want to hear what YOU'VE had success with. Peppers? Anything I could plant now to harvest later in summer? Or am I too late?

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Two Questions: 1) How do I keep my basil plants from getting 'leggy'? 2) Veggies for pots on sunny deck? To plant now?

I let my basil grow to a nice size, then go to town snipping off leaves and using or giving them away in order to keep the plant the size I want it to be. Pinching back is just not enough to keep this plant from getting leggy.

Because of my brothers chickens pecking on everything planted in the garden, my husband has gone to container gardening. He has tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers planted in a bright pink wading pool in the back yard. We have green beans growing in a large flower pot, as well as cherry tomatoes. Squash and zucchini plants also do well in a large flower pot, and we have grown potatoes in a 5 lb. bucket before. Just make sure to use gravel or foam peanuts, etc in the bottom of the pot for good drainage.

Honored Contributor

Re: Two Questions: 1) How do I keep my basil plants from getting 'leggy'? 2) Veggies for pots on sunny deck? To plant now?

http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2008/05/pinch_back_basil_to_boost_the.html

this is what I do, don't let them start to set flowers

Frequent Contributor

I agree with jackthebear. My dad grew basil for years and his would grow like a bush, not tall. I remember him always snipping off the tips before they flower.
Valued Contributor

Jack-That link was SUPER helpful- thanks so much.Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

I use my fingertips to pinch ghe buds as soon as they start.....and always have full bushy plant. Easy peasy.....good luck,.
"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

I think if you started it earlier before the tomatoes, you could plant lettuce in the pots. Once the weather gets too hot, lettuce sets flowers and gets bitter. In the cooler months, you can re do lettuce again (some nurseries offer it for sale in late August/early September).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thank you Jazz and ladies. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

the link is really helpful.

Valued Contributor

Any additional ideas for anything I can pot-plant on the deck? Something I could plant now, and not be too late to do so???