Honored Contributor

The Spring bird migration has officially begun!

The Sandhill Cranes have started to arrive at the Platte River here in Nebraska...Yay! Today was near 60 degrees and a great migrating day for them.

However, I won't tell them that they are in for several bouts of snow showers and cold weather over the next couple of weeks...LOL...poor things.

Respected Contributor

Re: The Spring bird migration has officially begun!

Bird migration is largely influenced by the length of daylight hours. Our snow-bird like PAinted Buntings will be here till April and then return to the Carolina's where they nest. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StylishLady wrote:

Bird migration is largely influenced by the length of daylight hours. Our snow-bird like PAinted Buntings will be here till April and then return to the Carolina's where they nest. 

@StylishLady  Yes, I have been a birder for many years. I have yet to see a Painted Bunting...one of many I want on my lifer list.

A few years ago we had a wonderful surprise having an Indigo Bunting visit one of our backyard feeders during a Spring Migration. Unfortunately, the stunning Painted Buntings don't come north enough to breed for us to see them at our location in Nebraska. Maybe someday DH and I will take a trip southward and see them on a future vacation during the winter Smiley Very Happy

Here's a pic of the Indigo Bunting visitor we had...

P1300640.JPG

Honored Contributor

STUNNING!

Valued Contributor

Maybe the groundhog (and the birds) is right!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise  Beautiful birds!  Big changes in temperature today. It's 14 degrees at 7:35 AM. Have no idea what it was when I woke up at 5:00. The Cranes are hardy and will survive near the Platte. Lots of shelter for them.

Thanks for posting your picture. I've never seen buntings. Gorgeous. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Where we live, the rabbits reappeared over the weekend.  We have hardly seen a rabbit over the winter, but suddenly this weekend we saw a number of them in our neighborhood.

And one brave soul showed up at the back patio to see if he could get a carrot from us.  So we tossed one out and he ate part of it.  I assume he is a friend from last year if he knows to come to the door!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise, I am in Nova Scotia, east coast of Canada.  One day I was sitting in the living room overlooking the back yard.  It was late Fall I think.  I looked down in the garden and saw a bright turquoise color.  I thought it was a rag.  It was an indigo bunting blown in by the storm.  They are at the northern extent of their range here for sure but we do see them from time to time.  I have never seen such a spectacular color.  Very unique for our area.

Great photo by the way!  LM