Esteemed Contributor

My Burning Bushes Budding !!!!!

I just noticed that our burning bush shrubs have buds on them !  They are brown still,   but definitely pointed and a bud.  This is the first time I've seen this in February and I'm very worried 

we are on the east coast and it has been unseasonably warm for 5 days or so but I wouldn't think that would be enough to cause this so eArly,  or is it?   I also noticed the shrubs have retained a little of there dead leaves from the fall.   I'm so worried that we will loose them cause cold weather is on the way its only the beginning of February we still have March to get through .  We lost our beautiful red maple last spring because of the weather and I would be so upset if we lost these bushes    I would so appreciate any advice anyone could give me .😺

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Burning Bushes Budding !!!!!

Since I have a brown thumb, I am clueless.  But the tree outside the front window is budding which is a comforting sign that life goes on.

Honored Contributor

As long as the buds aren’t swollen, the plants should be okay.
☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Northeast here too - since burning bush doesn't produce 'flowes' - you're okay with another cold snap.  I lost my pink magnolia  flowers 3 years in row due to late severe frost - but the leaves were just fine.  Last year I finally had tulip tree flowers b/c nothing damaged the buds.  Once your green sprouts feel that cold bite - they will go dormant again.  Bushes are tough.

Esteemed Contributor

Added..............I had a BB years ago - it wasn't cold that killed it - was salt off our cars b/c the bush was almost on top of the driveway.  Lots of neighbors have a burning bush in their gardens around here.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom  Thanks for the reply ,  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the buds being swollen?   What I'm seeing is a brown pointed bud ,  it isnt open right now at least.  Checked out in my area and other BB are also budding.  My Concern is a cold blast is due over the weekend and maybe warm again.  last year we had similar winter and no budding.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Northeast here too - since burning bush doesn't produce 'flowes' - you're okay with another cold snap.  I lost my pink magnolia  flowers 3 years in row due to late severe frost - but the leaves were just fine.  Last year I finally had tulip tree flowers b/c nothing damaged the buds.  Once your green sprouts feel that cold bite - they will go dormant again.  Bushes are tough.

@fthunt I guess we have been lucky as last winter same unseasonably weather.  Our bushes are 5 yrs old do hopefully the will be able to bounce back.  Sorry to hear about your magnolia tree ,   They are beautiful tress!

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Since I have a brown thumb, I am clueless.  But the tree outside the front window is budding which is a comforting sign that life goes on.

@Still Raining   Are you in a cold weather part of the country?  I'm thinking if you live in a warm weather state then that is a comforting sign that spring is coming.   It's too early for my state though,  much more winter to come even though the ground hog claimed only 6 weeks till spring😉

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

This is the one reason I chose the Magnolia ‘Jane’ for our backyard. It doesn’t open it’s buds until after March has past. As you said it’s not unusual to get a late winter frost to burn those buds.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom  Thanks for the reply ,  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the buds being swollen?   What I'm seeing is a brown pointed bud ,  it isnt open right now at least.  Checked out in my area and other BB are also budding.  My Concern is a cold blast is due over the weekend and maybe warm again.  last year we had similar winter and no budding.

By swollen I mean buds that get larger (swell)  & look like they are about to open. It’s when they are about to open that the most danger of frost occurs on them. As fthunt said, bushes are very durable to temperature changes. And boy have we been up & down the thermometer these past few weeks!