Respected Contributor

Re: The Bluebird Has Laid Eggs

@NickNack , yes, mine have always left early...at most 16 days.     If you happen to see more than usual activity,  lots of constant feeding,  it's likely they'll fledge the following day.  That's what I've seen happen here.

As for the mockingbird nesting in the gutter, we're leaving it alone...they only nest about 2 weeks and their babies fledge about 14th day.  We are expecting rain this week,  so it's up to the mother if she stays...idk how because the gutter gets alot of water.  They're an aggressive bird, so im not eager to have them hatch here.   I'm excited to hear when your bluebirds fledge..I love them!

Honored Contributor

I don't particularly like mockingbirds either.  I have a mother and baby mockingbird.  The mother keeps trying to get into the mealworm feeder.  I have a robin that wants in the feeder too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

When I had a mockingbird nest in a holly bush about 5' away from our mailbox, I worried that they would attack people coming to the front door. 

Fortunately, they didn't & weren't too perturbed when I looked in the nest at the 4 eggs -- one was a brown headed cowbird's! 

I did leave raisins, crushed egg shells for the parents so that is probably why they didn't attack me. I'm the 'food giver' according to DH.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom   Mockingbirds aren't bothered when I'm around either.  When I go out they will stay at the feeder and eat.  Some of the other birds will stay, but many of them fly away.  I do like to listen to them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I started a new post...I do have a 3rd nest now in my driveway box.  5 eggs inside.  I was totally surprised...I checked because I thought I saw a bluebird fly out, and sure enough it's all set up.  I have no idea if it's the same parents.   I think kinda fast because the last baby just fledged last week.   That was the box outside my bedroom window.   Just wanted you to know,  but you'll see the new post on the 1st page.   I'll be waiting to hear about your babies😀