Honored Contributor

The Bluebird Has Laid Eggs

[ Edited ]

I'm so excited!  I've been checking the box for eggs for about a week.  I can't see in the nest so have to put my phone above the nest and take pictures.  There are at least two eggs, and probably more based on where those eggs are.

A bird (probably one of the bluebirds) flew very closely over my head while I was taking the picture.  It won't scare them away that I was looking in their box, will it?  It's been at least three years since I've had a nest box.

@Dazlin 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: The Bluebird Has Laid Eggs

@NickNack  Sign of Spring.... 🐦🐣💐

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

No, you didn't bother the parents while looking in the nest.

Our boxes have a side that opens to check on the nest/babies, but we check it when neither parent is around.

We  have fledged 5 babies already this year and have 2 more nests with 5 eggs each!

Congrats on your BB babies!

Our nests have always had 5 babies, except for one which had 6 eggs, but only 5 hatched.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack 

No, you didn't bother the parents while looking in the nest.

Our boxes have a side that opens to check on the nest/babies, but we check it when neither parent is around.

We  have fledged 5 babies already this year and have 2 more nests with 5 eggs each!

Congrats on your BB babies!

Our nests have always had 5 babies, except for one which had 6 eggs, but only 5 hatched.

@KingstonsMom   Yes, my box opens on the side, too, which is how I opened it.  The bluebird has built the next so high that I can't see over it.  I had to put my camera over the nest to take the picture.

You're lucky to have so many bluebirds.  How many nest boxes do you have?

p.s.  I saw the female fly out of the box and didn't think she was around when I went to check.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...Bluebirds are very tolerant of you checking the box.  They know when your feeding them too...I usually whistle a little to let them know I'm here.  I've always checked my houses, and they sometimes are nearby, and they just continue to come.  No worries. 

I haven't checked mine since I last told you there were 4, but im seeing alot of activity.   If She's sitting on the eggs  im not going to disturb her.    Many sites say it's good to check periodically, for predators or  bee nests.   Just make sure she's not in there, or tap the box before you check.  Glad things are progressing there, nice to hear.

Keep me posted. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

I only have 2, spaced appropriately distanced.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I truely believe that birds can sense people that have good hearts and mean them no harm. I think they can recognize who is leaving food out for them too.

I wonder with all this egg laying if crushed egg shells could be mixed with the meal worms on the platform. They might need the extra calcium to replace what is lost with egg making.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Ours has five eggs in the nest box. I put out dried and live mealworms. I put a pinch of calcium powder with the worms.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom , I have a grinder and I have ground up egg shells and topped their mealworms and berries mix.  I read they can surely use the extra calcium.   I haven't done it yet this season, but ill get around to it.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I checked the box this morning after I saw the female fly out.  There are 4 eggs, and she's been sitting on them.  I'm not sure when hatch day will be...I haven't been able to check the dates, but ill go back to our previous posts and see when I said I saw the eggs.

How is it going by you?