Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions please for my fence baskets

I gave up on those liners years ago. I now use a mix of packing peanuts and pea gravel. I also have used those glass pebbles. Drainage is still there and it lasts from year to year. I think the weight is about the same because you have a bit less soil in them.   

Esteemed Contributor

I have not received packing peanuts in years! For drainage in larger pots I use empty water bottles. They add no weight. You can also remove the bottom of the bottle, put the cap on, invert and use that to water the pot down to the roots if you poke a few small holes around the bottle.

Super Contributor

Now this is just me, but, I would stop using those pretty metal baskets. Just because they're pretty but impractical.  Get some of the plastic over the railing flawer boxes.  They hold soil and water longer and flowers like that.  Also I use those darn plastic bags that you get from walmart or grocery stores, stuff them in the bottomthey slow the drainage.  

Esteemed Contributor

Since I am overrun by deer, I can't really do much.  But I have found, as my physical abilities wan, that it is better to do things with more bang for the buck.  

What would give you two the most pleasure?  

Do that and forget about the rest.  Just have fond memories.

Honored Contributor

I have iron rings on my fence that hold clay pots.  I take them down every fall and empty them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa, thanks for your suggestion. But - the metal fence baskets are decorative with cutouts - they are not  a solid material like pots. They need a liner to contain the soil.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. Here's what I did. Since DH ordered new liners for me, I went ahead and emptied out 3 of the fence baskets today that are visible from our patio door and kitchen window. They now have new liners, potting soil and flowers. The remaining 3 patio fence baskets are goners. The 3 railing baskets upstairs will see their last useful year - next year will be a nice hanging basket instead.

As one of you said, time moves on and we have to adjust and make changes to what we used to do. Thanks again for your many comments and suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a big fan of nylon net. It comes in a ton of colors. You could layer this in the bottom of your planters (matching the colors) and not have the weight of a liner, etc. but still have the drainage. Good Luck with whatever you try.