Honored Contributor

It's September 15 and I'm still seeing hummingbirds here in N AL.  Fall is the busy hummingbird season for me.  That's when I see multiples fighting over the feeder.  Yesterday I was sitting on the stairs in the garage putting on my gardening shoes and saw one out the window enjoying my red Pentas.  This morning I was getting ready to change out the feeder with a fresh one and there was a female feeding, so I'll do it later.  That particular feeder I can't tell how much is in the bottom, so when I can't see liquid at the bottom of the glass part, I'll change it out.  

I usually leave mine out way into October, but I just wanted to mention in case people were taking their feeders down.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Still Got Hummingbirds

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess  Our hummers went through a feeding frenzy earlier in the week, and now they are gone. Have not seen them in 3 days. I'll keep putting out the nectar for a while in case we get any migrating hummingbirds from the North. Enjoy!

ETA: I'm in southeastern PA.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

It's September 15 and I'm still seeing hummingbirds here in N AL.  Fall is the busy hummingbird season for me.  That's when I see multiples fighting over the feeder.  Yesterday I was sitting on the stairs in the garage putting on my gardening shoes and saw one out the window enjoying my red Pentas.  This morning I was getting ready to change out the feeder with a fresh one and there was a female feeding, so I'll do it later.  That particular feeder I can't tell how much is in the bottom, so when I can't see liquid at the bottom of the glass part, I'll change it out.  

I usually leave mine out way into October, but I just wanted to mention in case people were taking their feeders down.

Southern Iowa/Northern Missouri here.  Still lots of hummers here, just like you describe, and quite a bit farther north of you.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Icegoddess  Our hummers went through a feeding frenzy earlier in the week, and now they are gone. Have not seen them in 3 days. I'll keep putting out the nectar for a while in case we get any migrating hummingbirds from the North. Enjoy!

I'm in south western WV near Pittsburg, still here drinking a lot, filling up for their journey. I feed till October the 5 th and usually they are gone for a week before that.

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I'm in south western WV near Pittsburg, still here drinking a lot, filling up for their journey. I feed till October the 5 th and usually they are gone for a week before that.

Don't know where my mind is this morning., I'm in North eastern WV 20 min from Pittsburgh and across the river from Steubenville, Ohio.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess The hummers are visitors that are always welcome at my home also.   I live in north Mississippi and we have numerous hummers that are still on a feeding frenzy.  ENJOY!

Have you ever been sitting close to your feeder and listened to the flutter of their wings, what a joy!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in NoVA and have lots of hummers right now.  The most  I've had all season.

My feeder has a perch so they don't have to hover.  Recently a (very) large praying mantis saw an opportunity to snatch a feeding bird.  Yikes!  I swatted the entwined duo down with a broom and I don't know what happened after.

Time to go refill the feeder and water the red lobelia.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Still Got Hummingbirds

[ Edited ]

I'm in CT and

just, sadly, took down my feeder 2 days ago. The two (or 3, I was never sure) regulars I had several times a day everyday had stopped coming. They were so fun to see around each day, slurping down and enjoying that sweet nectar.

After I took it down I saw one, what looked like a "fly-by" on it's way down south, as they will stop along the way. It went to my flowers instead. I can usually tell the fly bys as my regulars were around all day. That one only came once.

I have one more batch of nectar ready to go in the fridge, but I'm not going to bother to put it out because the hornets have started around here now, and they were flying all around the feeder all day. When I took it down to clean it there were two dead ones inside.

So...done for the season. I'd like to fly south right now with those hummers, myself. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Still here in NE Iowa...feeding frenzy is a good way to describe their activity now! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Here in the Northeast, hummers are tanking-up in preparation for their long journey.