Honored Contributor

Squirrels are rare where I am in the summer.  I may see one a week (lots of rabbits though!).

Does the hot sauce/cayenne pepper burn their mouths or do they *sense* it before they injest it?

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and comments! It's nice to know how others deal with their little critters! I'm going to look for the hot sauce, and I've also noticed that Duncraft and other sources sell the "hot" seed cakes that don't seem to bother birds, but squirrels stay away from.

Our deer don't rely on the corn only for their food source. I live in the midwest and deer spend a lot of time in corn fields for food, but they also search for other sources as well. DH and I have talked about getting clover to put down for them too, so we need to do that.

I think I'll have to put up with the fall onslaught of the critters, and plan for how to discourage them better next spring thanks to your suggestions!

Esteemed Contributor

mint 

Honored Contributor

Squirrels have not been a problem for me this summer for some reason. I think it may be because I planted veggies with vines that climb and large leafed squash plants where the squirrels like to hide their nuts. I sure do hope they have moved on.