Respected Contributor

We had a couple of mild days last week (SWPA) where the night temps were in the high 40S/low 50s. 

I was standing outside on our deck, the only sound was silence.  Then like a switch was turned on the chirping of the spring peepers filled the air.  I was actually startled.  I don't ever remember hearing them in March. 

Contributor

A sure sign of spring here in Western PA.  I haven't heard them yet, although my son, who lives near by, has.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the Midwest and haven't heard of a "Spring Peeper".....is it a bird?

Trusted Contributor

@AlleghenyNothing like the sound of the peepers in the spring, I enjoy their soothing sound and the wonderful earthy smell of a spring evening.

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1  They are little night tree frogs, around dusk they start making a melodic peeping sound.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1   If you enter "spring peepers sound" in Google you can hear them on a You Tube recording entered via the AudubonGuides

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spring Peepers

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny, thank you...I'm going to look them up now. I don't think I've ever heard of them!

Edited: Just looked them up and listened to the Spring Peepers. What a nice sound - sort of like a soft whistle, or maybe bells. We definitely don't have them where I live.

Honored Contributor

Our peepers usually start their opera in Feb but this year we had that whole month of nothing but snow on the ground. I live in western WA. Was too cold for them. I have a creek that runs thru our property and along the roads and it is a chorus of peepers--then something moves and they all stop then they all start up again. Love it!!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl

I thought it was a little early for our area in Pennsylvania.  I only heard them that one night but as our weather is warming up I expect to hear them more frequently.  The propery next to ours has a small pond and there is also a stream coming thru our neighbor's property.

Trusted Contributor

West MI here. I heard them yesterday. My Daddy and I used to have a contest. The first one to hear them in the spring bought they other person a Jones ice cream.