Re: Spring Arrives at Dollar Tree

I haven't purchased seeds from the dollar store because I didn't think the quality would be what I want.  I did buy 4 new plastic hummingbird feeders though.  For $1, at the end of the season when the red color fades to pink, I just toss them out and buy new.

Trusted Contributor

I've bought seeds at a discounted outlet before and they did just fine. Most packets have dates on them to go by.

Esteemed Contributor

@marilla barb wrote:

I haven't purchased seeds from the dollar store because I didn't think the quality would be what I want.  I did buy 4 new plastic hummingbird feeders though.  For $1, at the end of the season when the red color fades to pink, I just toss them out and buy new.

I  haven't the patience or discipline to scrub out those hummer feeders regularly as they should be @marilla barb. I would rather grow a swath of red Monarda they can feed on while they're here.

No, you're not going to get top quality seeds at the dollar tree. But you can get some nice colorful filler to surround the plants you really feature.

Seems their Zinnia seeds did nicely to, as long as we don't get a solid week of rain & fog.

Honored Contributor

I buy the box of impatiens seeds at my Dollar Tree and sprinkle them around my larger blooming impatiens....cover them with soil and they usually sprout and grow and give my all -shade flower bed a lot of extra color a little longer...

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I saw these seed yesterday.  Do they grow Ok?

@sweetee2

My husband grows (a lot) of giant sunflowers along our fence.  Dollar Tree's 4@$1 usually grow better than Burpee's at $3 a pack.  The fact that he plants about 20 packs makes Dollar Tree's a more appealing investment.

Regular Contributor

i bought some seeds, too...on sunday.  an introduction for my granddaughter.