Valued Contributor

@SeattleShopper1 

Are you saying we should put the  *dead head* bits into the area at the base of the roses?

Keep Calm and Garden On,

CAT 

Esteemed Contributor

A full sun location is the ost important thing for roses and don't be stingy with the water.  I highly recommend using Espoma Rose food in early spring, then again in the second week of July.  Between a weekly spritz with Spray N Grow (which I discovered through QVC, but is now sold on HSN) will have people thinking you are some kind of rosarian.  

100_1738.JPG 

Honored Contributor

You can save money and apply the Espoma Rose Tone monthly around your roses during the growing season -- by us April -- September. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

@gacat123

Yes,   the "dead head"  or the rose hip part of "expired" rose.  Not the stems or leaves, however,  just the  "expired" rose hip and any remaining petals.  If left at the base of the rose plant,  the "dead head" becomes even  food for the rose.  And usually the rose bush will respond positively  (produce more blooms) if "rose hips" OR  "dead heads" are trimmed off frequently during blooming season.  Happy gardening!

Valued Contributor

@SeattleShopper1 

My red rose bush in big pot that i can see from K window is now full of buds and roses! YAY! 

I have been grinding egg shells and putting in the base and watering in. once a week i am feeding with blue water/flower food and plain water the rest of the week.  I do clip the spent  rose hips as we discussed earlier and remove any yellow leaves. oh and I watch out for aphids  with insect spray. (grrr)

I must be doing something right.  ??   I am in SW GA where it is hot and humid.  

The HUMMING BIRDS just love the red roses, right by the hummer feeder.  <G>

Keep Calm and Garden On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

@SeattleShopper1 

My red rose bush in big pot that i can see from K window is now full of buds and roses! YAY! 

I have been grinding egg shells and putting in the base and watering in. once a week i am feeding with blue water/flower food and plain water the rest of the week.  I do clip the spent  rose hips as we discussed earlier and remove any yellow leaves. oh and I watch out for aphids  with insect spray. (grrr)

I must be doing something right.  ??   I am in SW GA where it is hot and humid.  

The HUMMING BIRDS just love the red roses, right by the hummer feeder.  <G>

Keep Calm and Garden On, 

CAT

I usually see aphids right when new growth occurs after the winter. Leaves will be on the roses, and the new growth that has new leaf buds and flower buds might start to show aphids usually on a very warm day (by us) in May. They disappear with me applying ladybugs on them and I don't see them after that.

Try to remove the spent blooms BEFORE they form the hips or seedheads. That way the rose doesn't put it's energy into creating seeds but instead focuses on buds and blooms. Roses in extreme heat will slow down their blooms. There is a recuperation time for some roses so you will get a flush of blooms, then a rest, then more blooms and a rest and so on.

Valued Contributor

@JustJazzmom  

THANKYOU!  A few months ago I saw some little bugs (APHIDS) on a rose bloom and hit them with insect plant spray. no more aphids but i keep a watch out. 

some of my rose bush  leaves look like they have  been chewed on. ??  what is this and should I use the insect plant spray on the leaves?   The plant is very healthy  with lots of flowers and blooms.  I did as you suggested and clipped the older roses, petals in the well base of the plant. 

I read online that coffee grounds are good for roses.  I have been adding ground up egg shells to the soil and having good results.  

Any rose suggestions will be appreciated.  <G>

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

@JustJazzmom  

THANKYOU!  A few months ago I saw some little bugs (APHIDS) on a rose bloom and hit them with insect plant spray. no more aphids but i keep a watch out. 

some of my rose bush  leaves look like they have  been chewed on. ??  what is this and should I use the insect plant spray on the leaves?   The plant is very healthy  with lots of flowers and blooms.  I did as you suggested and clipped the older roses, petals in the well base of the plant. 

I read online that coffee grounds are good for roses.  I have been adding ground up egg shells to the soil and having good results.  

Any rose suggestions will be appreciated.  <G>

CAT

Several things to guess without a good photo-- if lacy looking-- think of Japanese beetles; if neat cut out half circles -- think of leaf cutting bees who use them for their nests; holes in irregular sizes in middle of leaves -- think of fungal disease. Lots of possibilities.

Use monthly during their bloom period a granular rose food fertilizer such as organic Espoma Rose Tone -- it gives them balanced nutrients. Figure about a 1/2 Cup sprinkled around the base of each rose from the time they initially leaf out to about mid-September. You want to stop feeding your roses by mid-September do they don't put out new growth and start getting ready for winter dormancy. I also use about a half cup of Epsom salts around each rose once in April after they fully leaf out and again in mid July.

Valued Contributor

ROSE UPDATE:   Not Good News... 

SPIDER MITES  (saw  webbing on back of leaves)  have moved in on my rose bush and causing problems and yellow leaves and leaf drop. 

I just sprayed /JET water to the rose bush leaves which is suggested to remove the critters.  

Next?  I made up a mixture of  dish liquid, veggie oil, water in a spray bottle to spray on the rose bush.    

The rose bush is now very clean!  No spider mite webbing seen.   I hope this works.   

Keep Calm and Rose Bush On, 

CAT