Super Contributor

Can someone recommend a good rose food?  I have one that for the second year did not bloom. It is pretty just no blooms.

thanks

Trusted Contributor

I've been using a product by Bayer that is specific to roses and have had pretty good luck.  It also has some anti fungal properties and disease preventers.  I use it about every  six weeks starting in may (northeast) and go through september. 

Honored Contributor

The most common reason for roses not blooming is inadequate sunlight.  They like lots of sun; they can take full sun.  Could this be your problem? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Buy Espoma Rose Tone, apply a half cup around each rose monthly during the growing season, by me from end of April to end of August.

Use Epsom salts -- again a half cup around each rose in April and July to apply. 

I agree, roses need at least 6 hours of sun for bud formation/blooms.

But some varieties might not just profusely bloom where you live despite doing all these things.

Ramblers are a rose that bloom 1X/year. 

Here on LI, Rosarians like myself have noticed that Frances Meilland and Madame Anisette despite being in full sun, fed monthly and highly disease resistant do not profusely bloom. I have both and this is year 3 and year 2 reslectively -- I'm getting foliage but not a lot of blooms. It might do better in warmer year round climates (above Hardiness Zone 7).

So take this into account too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

Hello--  Recommend  Jackson & Perkins Dynamite Select Rose Fertilizer.

One can order it from Park Seed company.   However,   Just Found Out they will not deliver until July 28  --   And you need it now!    Back in the "Old Days,"   Perkins Roses was its own company and their roses were considered among the best  --  if not the best.

But like many companies,   they were bought by another company. 

The food is  "time release"  which I find very helpful.   NOTE:   If roses do not get full sun,  they might not bloom very well.   Also,   they do not like Anything (another plant or ground cover) touching them.   Also,   try to water the roses in the morning and try to only water the rose bush's "well"  --  not the leaves.  And,  once the rose has bloomed and the flower starts becoming a "rose hip,"  cut the "rose hip"  off and leave it in that ros plant's well  --  provides additional food for the plant.   If one does not trim off the "rose hips,"  the rose bush acts like its work is done  --   which is to produce seed.  Strongly suggest you get  a book about rose care and your own sharp pruning shears.   Hope this helps. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Buy Espoma Rose Tone, apply a half cup around each rose monthly during the growing season, by me from end of April to end of August.

Use Epsom salts -- again a half cup around each rose in April and July to apply. 

I agree, roses need at least 6 hours of sun for bud formation/blooms.

But some varieties might not just profusely bloom where you live despite doing all these things.

Ramblers are a rose that bloom 1X/year. 

Here on LI, Rosarians like myself have noticed that Frances Meilland and Madame Anisette despite being in full sun, fed monthly and highly disease resistant do not profusely bloom. I have both and this is year 3 and year 2 reslectively -- I'm getting foliage but not a lot of blooms. It might do better in warmer year round climates (above Hardiness Zone 7).

So take this into account too.

@JustJazzmom  Isn't there epsom salt in the Epsoma Rose Tone?

Honored Contributor

My roses bloomed gloriously in the spring, then it got very hot and they went into a funk and are just sitting out there doing nothing.  I think it's just too much of a strain for them to bloom right now.  Waiting for cooler weather.  We're averaging mid to high 90s.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl, I don't think so. The amount of magnesium is 0.5% on the plant data sheet link here: https://www.espoma.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Esp_Rose.pdf

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

No I do not think so. They have bloomed previous years Just not thi year or last year. 

Valued Contributor

@crazered 

I read about grinding up  EGG SHELLS and stirring into the soil of roses!   ??

My roses seems to love it!   I also water once a month with blue flower food I mix in water.

Mine bloom off and on, they have minds of their own for sure.  

Keep Calm and Garden On,

CAT