Honored Contributor

Sadly they are on the gardening show today selling some plant which undoubtedly only grows in the tropics. 

I was so hoping we were done with them and their deceptive presentations on what can be done with such plants as well as the poor quality of many of their products.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   I was going over items recently on air and came across the desert rose they were selling.  It has terrible reviews, most saying worst purchase ever.

I have nine of them, purchased locally, varying size and colors and they are not difficult to grow.  They do require lots of sun, of which we have in abundance, and they are also not cold tolerant.  You should see our roses right now.  We've had cold weather, they are covered tighter than a drum, with a light under each of them to provide heat.  Most people won't want to mess with it.  Ours are too big to bring indoors.   Those living in cold climate will have to be a little more mindful, but it can be done. 

AF8F7267-F96D-4931-9FB2-9C05876E2217.jpeg

This is one of them, from last summer.

Honored Contributor

@Pezzie they're pretty, but I don't get enough sun.  People should know they are toxic to pets though.

@Kachina624 I bought some shade plants from them which were DOA, but I did try to revive them.  I contacted them and heard nothing.  The following year a box showed up at my house, but not with a replacement of what I bought, but something that looked exactly like a weed, and it was meant for sun.  I'm one and done with them.

Honored Contributor

@Pezzie wrote:

@Kachina624   I was going over items recently on air and came across the desert rose they were selling.  It has terrible reviews, most saying worst purchase ever.

I have nine of them, purchased locally, varying size and colors and they are not difficult to grow.  They do require lots of sun, of which we have in abundance, and they are also not cold tolerant.  You should see our roses right now.  We've had cold weather, they are covered tighter than a drum, with a light under each of them to provide heat.  Most people won't want to mess with it.  Ours are too big to bring indoors.   Those living in cold climate will have to be a little more mindful, but it can be done. 

AF8F7267-F96D-4931-9FB2-9C05876E2217.jpeg

This is one of them, from last summer.

@Pezzie    Good for you but the average person who has a plant or two doesn't have the skill or knowledge to cultivate an exotic plant from the other side of the world with exacting growing conditions. However, you'd never know that from the misleading presentations.

Where do you live?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   I am in AZ.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased lily bulbs last year.  My zone doesn't ship till late because of the cold.  When I didn't get them in May I contacted them. I think her name was Donna, but I was immediately sent another set. I had wonderful customer service.

Frequent Contributor

Back and charging for shipping now! Maybe the shipping will be better? I'm even less inclinded to buy now.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Roberta's is Back

[ Edited ]

Contrary to what Roberta's says on the air, Desert Roses aren't that easy to grow for most people. They like a hot, dry climate where you can keep them outdoors all year long. They don't do that well indoors and you have to be very careful about watering in the winter. Once a month or every 3 wks is enough. Otherwise the plant will get mushy and die. That's happened to me a few times, even not watering that often! I have a lot of them and most of them defoliate after I bring them inside. They need to be in the sunniest window possible and dont expect any blooms inside. Then I have to start from scratch the next year. I put them outside in the summer, but even then I've only had a few of them bloom for me. Maybe when they get more mature, I'm hoping. And they are VERY SLOW growers! it would take a decade or more to get to the size they show on the air (if you have cold winters where you live).And if you have a rainy spell, it's best to bring them under the porch for awhile to avoid being overwatered. And you need to use cactus potting soil! So they do require a lot of watching over.

That's a beautiful picture of your Desert Rose. I wish I had one that big that bloomed like that!!!

Since Roberta's only guarantees them for 90 days, which covers the summer months, I imagine a lot of people wind up wasting their money (It seemed like a good idea at the time......Smiley Very Happy)